1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching From Cable To OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DancyMunchkin, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1 of 11
    DancyMunchkin

DancyMunchkin New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    I have my Roamio Basic set up defined to my local cable company using a cable card and a TA.

I am thinking about dropping cable and switching to OTA (I can get all the major networks in HD via an antenna in my attic) plus Netflix/Hulu, etc.

Before canceling my cable service, I'd like to do a trial run by connecting my antenna to the Roamio input and running through set up again.

If I decide to stay with cable, will I have to go through cable card pairing and end up having to have a cable company technician come out or will it be as simple as connecting the TA to the Roamio and going through set up again?

Thanks!

2. Jul 8, 2014 #2 of 11
    DancyMunchkin

DancyMunchkin New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    No one has any ideas, eh? Well, thanks for Viewing.

3. Jul 8, 2014 #3 of 11
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No idea. I've never switched between cable and OTA with my Roamio Basic.

4. Jul 8, 2014 #4 of 11
    bryan4980

bryan4980 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I have tried a similar thing on a Premiere and as long as you don't switch the cable cards between boxes it seems to work. But that was with a premiere.
    Also I make no warranties express or implied regarding the preceding or following statements.
    So good luck.

5. Jul 9, 2014 #5 of 11
    Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...

6. Jul 9, 2014 #6 of 11
    DancyMunchkin

DancyMunchkin New Member

Jul 7, 2014

7. Jul 9, 2014 #7 of 11
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Don't worry. Drop cable. Save money. Be happy.

8. Jul 9, 2014 #8 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even if you have to re-pair the CableCARD, there's no way that a tech visit should be needed.

9. Jul 9, 2014 #9 of 11
    Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Just remove the cablecard and repeat the guided setup for Antenna.
    No repairing needed.
    I have Comcast. I have removed my cable card several times to test the antenna functionality of the roamio. No repairing is needed As long as you are installing the cable card back into the original Tivo.

10. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    You may have less signal strength than you believe esp if you are checking with the tuner on your tv. The Roamio coax input is a 4 way splitter so it can handle 4 tuners at once, many people have reported remarkable less signal strength with their Roamio compared to a single tuner tv reciever, you might need a amp to make it work.

11. troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I've had both a premiere and now an roamio with both cable and now OTA and the roamio works better than both my tv's ota tuners. OTA reception is very specific to your location. If you need help with OTA reception at your location I would post here:
    http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv-info-reception-9/
    Everyone is helpful to any questions you have.