1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching cable providers - seeking advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stevewjackson, Jan 21, 2013.

1. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    I will be switching to a new cable/Internet provider shortly. Since I need my Internet connection to run Guided Setup again when making this switch, I'm seeking advice from others who may have undertaken this kind of change as to when I should re-run Guided Setup.

Should I do it while I still have my old Internet connection in place, before the installer arrives? Or will I be safe waiting until after both my new Internet and cable connections are wrapped up? I'm assuming that I can confirm operation of the new CableCARDs merely by tuning some of the new channel numbers if I haven't re-run it yet, should the installer need to see that as a measure of success.

Also, any suggestions as to how long it should take for most of my guide data and SPs to get updated?

Thanks for any insights.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need to run Guided setup with the new cable service, and again with cable card. So, as long as there is internet, its fine.
  3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    You should be able to run Guided Setup before you get the CableCard. Just tell the Tivo that you will install them later and it will pull in the right channel info. I'm assuming that you will have the cable service active prior to having the cable guy come to install the card.