1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Series 2 Drive with a Series 2 DT Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by matapan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. matapan

matapan New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Pacific...
    I have a Series 2 single tuner unit which has a hard drive on its way out. Recently, a friend gave me his DT Series 2 unit after he upgraded. Since the service info is on the motherboard and not on the drive itself, I tried swapping to known good drive from the DT unit into mine, but did not get very far in the startup process.

My Tivo unit displayed the "Starting up. Please wait." message and nothing more. The front panel indicators immediately went to amber/green and amber red. According to what I've read online, getting into diagnostics mode (kickstart?) requires the unit to go green, then amber before you press the pause button to initiate the diagnostics mode.

Am I wrong in assuming that a fix could be as easy as a drive swap without an OS change? Or, are there other things to try here to address this?

I know the HD controller still works, because I swapped the original drive back in and it started up successfully.

2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You will need drive with same image to work the DT will not in single tuner. I remember reading somewhere the other way around will (single tuner S2 in a DT) but will only have one tuner.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, that doesn't work.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can only use the drive if it is from the same model, a TCD540 to another TCD540, TCD230 to a TCD230, etc.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Those 2 models use "almost" the same software, but not quite.

If that single tuner isn't lifetimed, use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy everything off of it, and switch your sub to the dual tuner.

When you say

"I know the HD controller still works, because I swapped the original drive back in and it started up successfully."

do you mean you put the single tuner unit's drive back in it, or the dual tuner's drive back in it?

What's the model of the single tuner?

I can help you with this if you work with me.

6. Apr 9, 2012 #6 of 13
    matapan

matapan New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Pacific...
    I have a Series 2 TCD 140060 unit.

I tried swapping a drive from a Series 2 240 unit and this did not work. The drive immediately hung, with both front panel indicators going amber.

It seems like the only way to swap the drive out is to create a backup, then restore the backup onto another drive to be used as the replacement.

What's the best tool to use now? The Hinsdale HowTo is okay if you have XP with a FAT32 partition on it. I don't. I would prefer to use something that did not require booting into Windows at all. Is MFSLive the way to go?

After "restoring" a backup to a replacement drive that is larger, how does the system "recognize" the extra capacity on the disk?

Sorry in case this has been rehashed, but the HowTo's I've read so far are extremely verbose and aren't to the point.

7. Apr 9, 2012 #7 of 13
    scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    This is the one exception to the "has to be the same model number" rule. At some point, and I don't remember exactly which at software version, Tivo combined the 140 and 240 software so that their was only on version for both model numbers.

8. Apr 9, 2012 #8 of 13
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I mostly use WinMFS and a USB to IDE/SATA cable. I have used WinMFS with XP, Vista, and Win7 (no FAT32 on any of them). If you really don't want to boot into Windows, then get the ISO and make a CD for MFSLive tools.

9. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Another exception was the Humax TiVos with a built in DVD recorder, the 40 and 80 hour units could use the same software. Most likely the 310TB TP and the new 500TB TP can use the same software but I have not tested that.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

No, those would be the same model.
    For example TCD240040 (40GB) and a TCD24080 (80GB) = same model when discussing hard drive/software compatibility

11. matapan

matapan New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Pacific...
    My personal experience has been that swapping a drive from a 240 series single tuner unit to replace a drive from a 140 unit doesn't work. Both front panel indicators are amber and the unit never starts.

When restoring a backup from the original drive to a replacement with higher capacity, how does the OS recognize the extra space on the replacement disk? I plan on using MFS Live.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The software (MFS Live or WinMFS) that does the restore and expands by adding an MFS partition pair rewrites the partition map, and the OS looks at that to see what's what.

Which is why you can "Xerox" to a larger drive with

dd

or

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

and not expand and the TiVo thinks it still only has the original capacity because "Xeroxing" like that leaves you with the old partition map.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    But there was many differences in the hardware beside the hard drive, the 40hour Humax had less inputs available, and some other things that i don't remember.