1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Hard Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by curtswanson, Oct 13, 2012.

1. curtswanson

curtswanson New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I have two Series 2 Tivos with lifetime service. One is a 140 model with two 120GB drives and the other is a 240 model with an 80GB drive. Both, I believe, have bad drive issues. I occasionally see Series 2 Tivos on craigslist for $40. Can I use the drives from these in my Tivos? Is it as simple as swapping them in?

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    The 140 and 240 boxes use the same software version so you could do that. You would want to do a Clear and Delete Everything first. The other way is to simply get another drive and burn the image onto it for your box. The images are available for free and the imaging SW (WinMFS or MFSLive)is available for free. Buy a cheap IDE/SATA to USB adapter cable and you are good to go. Check out the Upgrade Forum for more info.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you looking for a cheap source of IDE drives, or a cheap source of IDE drives with the TiVo software already loaded on them?

And you shouldn't pay more than $20 maximum for an unsubbed S2, not even the dual tuner model.