1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Hard Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hooper, Aug 25, 2013.

1. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I didn't see an answer to this on a quick search.

Is it possible to take a hard drive from a Premiere XL and put it in a Premiere? Both are the 2 tuner models and are in service now. The non XL has lifetime and I am probably going to retire one of the boxes and figured I could use the extra space in the lifetime box.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That would reduce the resale value of your XL to nearly nothing.

In your position I'd find some way to come up with $100 (which is less than you're going to save the first year of not paying monthly on the XL) and get a 2TB WD20EURS for that lifetimed machine, use jmfs to copy and expand, and put the original 320GB drive on the shelf for safe-keeping.

3. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Recent sales of XL's on ebay 30-60 bucks indicate isn't worth much more than the cost of the drive. Unless I missing something.

4. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    I had to do this when my XL drive died. Pulled the drive from the Premiere and used jmfs and put a 2T drive in it. Had to do a clear and delete for it to work. Don't know if I lost the THX but the software seems the same. Been using it for over a year now.
    Good Luck.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't really keep up with S4 prices, but I'm pretty sure they're hard to move without a drive in them.

I suppose you could keep it in case you ever need the power supply, if it's the same as the one in the regular Premiere.

But if you put a 2TB in place of the 320, you'll be even less tempted to use one of those problematic externals.