1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supernatural - "Dog Dean Afternoon" - 11/5/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1 of 15
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Well. I'm not sure what to even say about this episode.
    It was fun I supposed. I did enjoy a few things about Dean being a dog. The absentminded continuing of "fetch" with Sam's napkin and Sam's "really?" expression every time. I also liked Dean's "You think we like that?" about the dog staying in the car. :D

Otherwise, it was just a typical silly MOW. And Jared live tweeted the episode and was very open about how much he and Jensen were not happy with the voices of the dogs.

Otherwise, Jared wins the acting again on that fast transformation from Sam to Zeke healing back to confused Sam. I mean wow guys. Then him asking Dean why the baddie said he didn't know what he was. It's all starting to unravel here!!!

Looking forward to next week! It's back to the myth arc and should be a really great episode!

2. Nov 6, 2013 #2 of 15
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Has anyone else noticed that this season has been full of references to other shows?

In the first episode, there was a line about "breaking bad" (not specifically the show, but it came off as a tip of the hat).

In the second episode, they had Game of Thrones DVDs.

Now in this episode, there was yet another breaking bad dialog line and also the Game of Thrones taxidermy rats.

3. Nov 6, 2013 #3 of 15
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's like they didn't even try.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #4 of 15
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Agreed. The shepherd's voice should have been German. That was a duh. Oh well. Nothing you can do now. :)

5. Nov 6, 2013 #5 of 15
    stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I actually liked this episode way better than the last one. I loved Dean as a dog, and didn't think anything about the doggie voices. I did like the pure bred little old lady collie. And I loved Dean hanging his head out the window of the car. :D

6. Nov 6, 2013 #6 of 15
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I agree. The Oz episode fell flat for me, but this one worked better.

7. Nov 7, 2013 #7 of 15
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    No, it was what it should have been. Unless the shepherd was actually raised around German speaking people, how would he have learned to speak German or even have a German accent? You don't magically learn the language of your ancestors unless you're exposed to it. :rolleyes:

Seeing as how long this series has run, an episode like this has to be expected once in a while just to break up the monotony. It was like Dr. Doolittle meets the Dark Side.

8. Nov 7, 2013 #8 of 15
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And Supernatural has a long history of X-Files-type dead-pan comedy episodes, some better than others. I accept that in comedy, it's not always going to work, and admire their willingness to try something different from time to time.

9. Nov 7, 2013 #9 of 15
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I seriously hope this post is tongue in cheek.

10. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I thought this episode was really fun.

As soon as I saw the "THEN" montage and it was all silly episodes I knew i would find this episode either really fun or terrible.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I agree completely with mr.unnatural's comment. I was hoping that you weren't really serious about the GSD's voice being German. The accents were not at all what was wrong with the voices.

12. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Of course I wasn't serious, which is why I was hoping their response wasn't either. :)

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Try a different emoticon if you don't want your posts taken seriously. There are better ones to denote sarcasm. ;) A smiley face just says you're happy. :D

14. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    As you said, everyone should have known this episode was not to be taken seriously. Just look at the clips under the "then" heading in the opening. That was hilarious all by itself. Somehow, this show can get away with it. Dean unconsciously playing fetch was great. His staring at the poodle, letting the "prisoners" go, arguing for not leaving the dog in the car, all great comic stuff. These guys CAN do comedy!

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like the comedy episodes but I don't think that they should do two in a row.

My reaction to this week's episode is the same as last week's, cute and amusing but contributes little to the overall storyline.