1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super slow pulls..how to remedy?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by newsposter, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1 of 62
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i've been searching my brain and nothing has changed recently in my setup except i downloaded an update to the router. i just have no clue how to diagnose or where to look for something wrong to help speed things up.

could that be the reason why the pulls are super slow? you can sit there and watch the command window almost second by second. takes painfully long to transfer things

would low hard drive space be an issue. i do regularly run down to 2 or 3 gigs remaining but i've been like that for a long time.

C drive is a smaller SSD. all my shows are on HDD in the laptop. but had this machine for years and its been super fast in the past

2. Jan 4, 2017 #2 of 62
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Have you rebooted everything already?

3. Jan 4, 2017 #3 of 62
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Full drives has nothing to do with speed.
    Tivo need to transcode on the fly while transferring.
    Network can also play a part, especially on wireless.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #4 of 62
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How slow? Network, Transfer History should have a number. If your <unknown> router has QoS, turn it off. Run www.speedtest.net to see if your router has gone on strike.

5. Jan 5, 2017 #5 of 62
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    machine is rebooted regularly.

nothing else running which is why this is perplexing. when i do speedtests in firefox i'm ok. but i do have another issue which just started up recently. probably not related. but during my words with friends moves from one move to the next, FF always hangs up as non responding, it could take a minute or 2 for it to unfreeze. when i close and open FF again it almost goes away but then bogs down again quickly. probably not related to tivo but wanted to mention in case.

where is network transfer history. is that a control panel thing or do you mean in the pytivo window? can you just copy/paste out of the window, i never tried.

6. Jan 5, 2017 #6 of 62
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo, TiVo Central, Settings & Messages, Settings, Network, View network diagnostics, View transfer history, # 1 or # 2. Those show the rate when using Desktop. I also use Windows Taskmgr, Performance. With Win 7 it's a percentage, with 8.1 it's in Mbps.

7. Jan 5, 2017 #7 of 62
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

interesting.will have to check that out tonight, never saw that on my tivo

and never knew i could check out transfer rates off my win 8.1 laptop. i'm assuming thats on the fly though, not historical?

8. Jan 5, 2017 #8 of 62
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Correct, real time only. Since I have a basic Roamio, I never exceed 100Mbps. But I get really, really close.

9. Jan 5, 2017 #9 of 62
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    what rate should i look for during the transfer ..is 100 the goal? my router is older, not giga

linksys e1200 i think

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You haven said what model TiVo, but I would expect 100Mbps is the slowest. Older boxes, like the HD, might be slower. The previous post about transcoding may be the issue. If so, the Taskmgr will show CPU load. If it's 100%, I'd say you need to see what's making your computer so slow. If the TiVo was slow it would show as slow response to the remote.

11. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    premiere

and the thing is until a month or 2 ago i did have lightning fast transfers under all conditions. but ill do a transfer and see what CPU and transfer speeds are and report back over the weekend.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Cool. My normal speed when my Premiere copies a program from a Roamio is about 60Mbps.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like its on your computer end and not from the Tivo.

It sounds like you have alot of adware and/or viruses slowing down your computer. Try Superantispyware.com and all you would need is the free version.
    Under Firefox ad-ons, search for "ad block" and the use the first one listed.

14. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    last transfer was 12 mbps and took 55 minutes. i forget which show it was though. i must pic one and actually watch it for the speed 'live' to see what is up

oh there's no a virus. i have many things to prevent that including super..btw super is supposed to be able to delete even difficult files but i have a very long file name that simply will not delete , even with superspyware, frustrating.

but maybe its somehow tied into my other problem i mentioned above. if i do a speedtest in firefox i'm getting the speed i'm supposed to. however FF regularly locks up on me or surfs the web pretty slowly.

chrome is always regular and super fast.

i know this shouldnt matter with respect to pytivo but i figured i'd mention it anyway.

15. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    python exe is doing 1,919,xxx B/sec per resource monitor

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Speed tests only measures the speed out on the internet, but not the speeds of the internal personal networks.

I use Win XP as well, and have noticed better performance on Firefox after installing Ad Block. I have also experienced trojan virus which had piggy-backed on pop-up ads and Superantispyware have removed them.

17. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    tivo network transfer detail said 18.11 mb/s was last one. but i was watching resource monitor and nothing was higher than pytivo and the rest was measureably lower.

also my machine is win 8.1 16 gigs ram 2.4 i7 chip and always performed great. maybe that router update killed something that i did a few months ago

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

under qos the only thing enabled is WMM support which is the default. should that be disabled?

ive attached a pytivo screen to see if that helps you at all. i picked something easy to transfer. 10 min of sponge bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, I haven't had a problem with that option. With Win 8.1, you should be able to see how hard your box is working with Taskmgr. It's located in \Windows\System32. Right click on it and create a shortcut on your desktop. It's easier than having to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del each time.

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    task manager send seems to be 20's mbps at most right now as i'm watching. resource manager shows 2,043,xxx b/sec.. whats the conversion there. is that 2.043 Mbps?

is there any chance this is an encoding issue where something is going slow?

ffmpeg is not going above 20 in resource monitor and CPU well below 50% no matter what going on according to the graph