1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super High Frequency Noise

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DM3MD157, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I just received my TiVo Roamio Plus today and when plugging it in, I noticed immediately that there is a faint super high frequency sound coming from the unit. It is similar to the sound of old CRT TVs made when they are were on. Does anyone have this problem? It is very faint, but I can hear it especially when I put my ear to the TiVo.

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Are you possibly mistaking it for noise coming from the cooling fan that is inside the unit? Mine doesn't make much noise at all, but I know there is one. Not sure if it runs constantly.

If you have a loud annoying sound, maybe there is an issue. Can you post some audio/video?

3. DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    It's so high frequency that you won't be able to pick it up on a mic. I know I have sensitive hearing and I thought I was hearing things, but I went to my Premiere and it doesn't have the noise.

4. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Is it annoying / makes your Tivo unusable? I might just be too deaf to hear it. I don't think it is something you can compare to your Premiere since the hardware is totally different.

Things that could make noise from inside the Tivo:
    fan
    hard drive
    bad capacitor that is busy boiling off fluid and will explode/stop working soon.