1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions should not take priority over mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Scott R. Scherr, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    I bought the Roamio Plus and one Mini and we love it. No issues with Fios.

I have one thing that Tivo should change. Right now, if the Roamio is recording suggestions and all tuners are occupied, it will not let the Mini watch live TV. I know I could turn suggestions off to avoid this problem, but we like the suggestions feature. My wife will be confused because the Mini will tell her all 6 tuners are occupied and she cannot watch live TV. Upon investigation, on each occasion, the Tivo was recording several suggestions. I think that if a Mini attempts to watch live TV, it should cancel one of the suggestions.

I know one solution is to record the show she wants to watch, but this shouldn't be necessary.

I love the Tivo otherwise.

Scott

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    TiVo should have an option to select how many tuners to use for suggestions.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Perhaps they are trying to drive time and place shifting behavior? :)

Just like live tv on the primary unit, it should let you kill a suggestion if you want to view live tv from a mini.

4. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This definitely seems like a design flaw. Suggestions should only record when they don't interfere with something else.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One problem... What if someone else in the house is watching that suggestion? Like say someone else in the house is using a second Mini to watch that suggestion while it's recording. If you simply cancel it then they will be left with a partial recording. Unlikely scenario, but something they have to at least consider.

Simply limiting the number of tuners allowed for suggestions might not help either. What if your TiVo is recording 4 real shows and 2 suggestions and you have the limit set to 2. Then you'd have the exact same dilemma you have now.

6. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Baltimore
    IMHO, suggestions should always be given the lowest priority since the show was not selected by anyone to record. I think it is rare that people start suggestions while they are still recording, but I recognize that it could happen. At least give the mini user the option to cancel the suggestion or allow a menu selection stating which should take priority.

7. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I don't think that exact scenario can happen, though a similar one can. As far as I know, there is no way for the second Mini to be watching a tuner that is recording anything. My understanding is Mini live-tv tuners can only be used for Mini live-tv, and that didn't change when they added DTA on the Roamio.

Your scenario still works, just the second user has to be viewing the Suggestion on the Roamio itself.

Edit: My statement above is wrong. Nobody on a Mini can be watching the Suggestion as live-tv, but of course they could have gone into the "My Shows" of the Roamio and select the recording of the Suggestion to view. Not likely, but could happen.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    That makes is complicated, but could be resolved with a pop-up on the host to deny the change (or just let the tivo choose another tuner to respond to the min).

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The host TiVo knows if anyone is watching the suggestion. If no one is watching it should just cancel it and release the tuner to the Mini.

If someone is watching the suggestion then it either shouldn't offer that one as a sacrifice to the Mini or it should prompt the user watching it that someone else is asking for the tuner.

Pretty easy if you ask me.

10. macevedo

macevedo New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    I had the same issue recently. Ended up turning off suggestions. Even though the Roamio has DTA I would still like the chance to assign a tuner to a specific mini. My mother in law watches one specific channel and only one. Everytime she turns on her TV it comes up in another channel. I know, how hard is it to change it to the correct channel? Not hard at all, but when these little things like no tuners available happen then it gets a little bit more complicated.

11. TimA

TimA New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    A simple 'check box' setting would work: "Allow Mini Live TV priority over suggestions Y/N". You don't have to turn off suggestions and you are given a choice. I think it would annoy people if the the Mini continuously bombarded viewers with messages concerning suggestion recordings.