1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on new American Idol judge(s)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1 of 78
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Since they still seem to be taking their time coming up with judges for the next season of American Idol, I'm wondering who the crowd here at TCF would suggest would make good judges for the show?

yeah, yeah, I know, who cares? The show is aging quickly, and losing its relevance, but depending on the judge(s) that are cast, it might regain a little steam, so who would you all suggest?

-

My own suggestion, given a rumor that country artists Brad Paisley and Toby Keith were both apparently under consideration (depending on whom you believe/read), would be another country artist - one that got in some trouble recently for having negative comments about how these sorts of reality shows seem to have cheapened the business and/or left behind artists that had gone through the grind while others surged ahead based on their participation in these shows - Eric Church. I figure he's outspoken enough to call a bad performance bad (if he even settled for that word, as he's more likely to call it crap, or something far worse :D)

Not that I personally have been watching Idol lately, but I might tune in for a while if a decent judge is picked, as it might rejuvenate the show a bit.

I know I would definitely not be interested in seeing someone like one of the Jonas Brothers doing the job. I'd much prefer someone that had been in the industry for a while, as well as preferring someone that would speak the harsh truth. Something tells me that the Jonas types would never be that mean or controversial.

2. Aug 7, 2012 #2 of 78
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Do they have much time? The first round of auditions is already over; when does the final round of callbacks (where they sing in front of the judges) start?

Then again, they may have to hold off on even the second round of auditions until after Nigel Lythgoe is done with So You Think You Can Dance? in mid-September.

3. Aug 7, 2012 #3 of 78
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

This.

4. Aug 7, 2012 #4 of 78
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I would be happy with any Country Artist as a judge. But, I will admit that one who has the brass to be brutally honest would be much more fun to watch. I love Eric Church, he's an awesome artist, I would be good with him doing it. But, I bet they couldn't get him to.

Brad Paisley might be too nice honestly. He's a fan of American Idol and I don't know why, but that does make me think he'd be too nice.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #5 of 78
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Did they hire Mariah Carey? ugh...

6. Aug 7, 2012 #6 of 78
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think there is any hurry. They could film the callback episodes in October/November and then have Hollywood week in January, while the audition eps are being shown.
    Yes, they announced her at the recent Television Critics Association summer press tour. So now they just need to hire one more to join Randy and Mariah (assuming they want to stick with three rather than go back to four).

I think a country artist would be a good choice, but I think it would have to be a big name to draw in those that aren't necessarily country fans. I've never heard of Eric Church, so I don't think he'd fit the bill. Brad Paisley, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice.

7. Aug 7, 2012 #7 of 78
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Is cancel the show an option?

8. Aug 7, 2012 #8 of 78
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    If you were a FOX executive and this show had propelled your network to the #1 or #2 spot for the last ten years, would you be eager to see it end?

In other words, the answer is "NO."

9. Aug 7, 2012 #9 of 78
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    "NO" is correct, but not so much out of loyalty (otherwise, why cancel America's Most Wanted?); it's a combination of Idol (a) still having better ratings than anything else Fox would show in the fall, except for NFL overruns that count in prime time ratings and possibly World Series games (yes, Idol gets better ratings than Glee and New Girl), and (b) being one of the top ten TV shows in terms of how much revenue it generates between commercials and merchandise.

No, the ratings "aren't as high as they used to be," but considering what else is on TV, they don't need to be.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I said nothing about loyalty. The reason America's Most Wanted was canceled was because it clearly wasn't a good business decision to keep it on anymore. Likewise, it is a good business decision to keep American Idol on the air. Even with its recent ratings slump, It's still the highest-rated primetime show on FOX.

11. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    You may never have heard of Eric Church, but he is well enough known, especially given his comments to Rolling Stone that inspired a small feud with Blake Shelton (Judge/Mentor on "The Voice") and Mrs. Shelton: Miranda Lambert.

See, for more info: Eric Church feuds with Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton.

Of note there though is this:

That doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do the show as a judge, or that he'd be back tracking on what he meant to say, or what he did say.

He did go back and apologize for how his words were taken by Lambert (not sure that he really apologized to Shelton, or that he needed to given his "clarification" of his statement).

Regardless, he is someone that doesn't hold back on his thoughts and is an up-and-coming country artist, though he has a long history of toiling in the industry, hence his thoughts that (basically) he has more respect for the people that have done their dues.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not saying Church isn't a popular artist. But American Idol is a show that has to capture a broad spectrum of viewers with just 2-3 people. They have to have judges that are immediately recognizeable by well over 50% of the average American viewers, regardless of age, income, sex, location, or music preference. Thus, I think that if they decide to go after a country artist, they'll have to get someone who is well known to everyone.

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Not to mention the value it provides to the producers in terms of records sold, both during the season (on iTunes every week) and after it ends, and in concert tickets.

Push comes to shove, if Fox is still willing to air it, on the condition that it not pay nearly as much to the producers for the rights as it had been paying, the producers might go for that considering all the ancillary sources of revenue.

14. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    How recognizable were Cowell or Jackson when the show premiered?

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. But nobody had any expectations of the show back then, so having unknowns wasn't an issue. But now, the news about who is the new Idol judge is one of the top stories on the news, and many fans decide to watch or not based on the judges rather than on the singing talent. So while Fox could launch the show with unknown judges in 2001, there's no way they could get away with putting unknowns on the show today, especially given the celebrity judging talent on all the other clone shows.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think having a pop artist (Carey) is a good start.

I do think a country artist would be ideal... I'd say Shania Twain, since she straddles (or straddled... not sure if she's still recording or not, haven't heard from her in ages) the line between pop and country. Alternately, Jennifer Nettles would also work, although she might now be in a non-compete from her time with ABC's "Duets."

I would say a third judge should be someone in the recording industry... preferably either a top flight record producer, or an A&R guy... someone who knows how to give advice to make a good artist sound great. This one, I don't think has to be particularly well known, although I'm thinking if they could get Ryan Tedder, that would be perfect, since he has both producer and recording artist creds.

And yes, I would say ditch Randy as well. After this many years, it's time to clean house.

17. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    A white guy who plays a guitar wins every year now. Might as well have 3 of them judging.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'd be happy with them ditching Randy. I've thought he was worthless since the very beginning. But he's the only continuity left. If they got rid of him and started with three brand new judges this season, that would basically almost be a new show, and might give more viewers reason to just tune out.

Supposedly, they've asked Jimmy Iovine to be a judge multiple times, but he's smart in that he doesn't put himself in a situation where he has to judge the live performances in the theater with screaming fans, bad acoustics, etc. He puts himself in a position where he can listen to the contestants as they rehearse, evaluate what he heard, and provide feedback that doesn't have to be on the spot. That's much more valuable for the contestants, although it doesn't make for better TV.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Charlie Sheen.

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's funny, because it preemptively answered a question I had in the back of my mind (at least about Glee).