1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for MINI v2

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by DEC2955, Mar 21, 2014.

1. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    (1) Add addressable "RF" control
    [so that the "RF" Like "IR" can be assigned to a remote + device combo]

(2) Add direct connect "IR"
    [so that if a person has an IR system the "MINI" could be hidden or even mounted to the back of a TV with a IR receiver mounted else where.]

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter

3. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks for the link.. but that was not what I was looking for.. I was looking for an "like" connection where the lead from my "IR DISTRIBUTION" block could connect and not just a remote IR sensor.

4. DAF54

DAF54 New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I have less than one week's experience with Tivo, but I can confirm this is currently possible. My kitchen TV is wall mounted, no exposed wires, cords, etc. I "nested" the Mini box inside the rails of the wall mount and secured with zip ties. The box is completely out of sight and hidden from view by the TV. There is no "line of sight" between the box and the remote. Standard remote that came with the Mini works perfectly.

5. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Same here, in both the kitchen and bedroom. Mini is hidden and its remote works fine.

6. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    How do I turn on the "RF" on the MINI? as I tried turning it on like I did for my other TIVO's and the "TIVO"+"D" did not work.. the system info window still shows the device as set up for 'IR'??

:David

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe the Mini is IR only.

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The Mini's remote is IR. They're getting reflection off the wall behind the TV (or whatever) to reach the sensor.

9. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
  10. Headford

Headford New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    If you purchase the Slide Pro Remote and specify that you are purchasing it for use with a Mini, the remote comes with a USB dongle cable that plugs into the Mini's back USB port.

With the dongle and Slide Pro Remote, the Mini can operate in both IR and FR modes.

Remember to select that you are buying the Slide Pro Remote for a Mini (otherwise the dongle cable won't be included).

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My wish list would be...

1) Built in RF and remote finder
    2) MoCa bridging with gigabit Ethernet
    3) Optical audio output
    4) 1080p scaling

12. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I really like these. Wish they'd give us MoCA bridging with today's hardware with a software update... However, what's the odds you think we'll see a v2 in the next 2-3 years? Given its relatively newness and the de-emphasis on new hardware. Myself, I had planned to wait for v2, but after the hardware team reduction, I figured it might be awhile and picked up a few more with the advisory panel promo.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I remember reading a blog post from some hardware designed right after the Mini came out and he claimed that he designed the entire thing himself, so I'm not sure a reduction in staff on the design team is really an indication that there wont be a v2.

Personally I expect them to come out with a v2 if for no other reason then to reduce costs and make the style, and remote, more inline with the Roamio.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So has a version 2 Mini been hinted at? I guess the original Mini has been out over a year now. If they come out with a new version I guess I will need to sell my version one Minis. I didn't even realize it had been so long since I purchased my Minis. Time flies.

15. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Built-in MoCA 2.0 would be nice to have in both the next generation Mini and the "Series 6" DVR.

While I would like to see many of these suggestions implemented, I really don't expect TiVo to come out with a "series 2" Mini for at least another 2 or 3 years, if ever.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bet that if we see a v2 Mini it'll be virtually identical to the original just with slightly different styling to match the Roamio and maybe RF for the remote. I'm betting we're 2+ years away from a major hardware revision.

17. TiVoJimmy

TiVoJimmy Member

Jan 3, 2005
    How did you "pickup a few" Minis with advisory panel promo? I tried at the time and they would only sell me one at the discounted price.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bought two using that promo. They were only $25/ea + lifetime. Although I also bought a Roamio, so maybe that's what made the difference?

19. TiVoJimmy

TiVoJimmy Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I tried the same thing. The rep would not sell me a second mini for $25.

The only difference is I bought the Roamio Pro and transferred my $6.95/mo service from an S2.

20. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I got 5 at one time, no DVR purchase. I just updated the cart by changing the quantity after adding the first one. Guess online didn't have the restriction.