1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions all of a sudden working...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ahwman, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I have two Premiere XL4's with tuning adapters attached to each. Like many others, suggestions have not been populating on either of my TiVo's from day one unless I unplugged the TA. That said, all of a sudden today I noticed a full page of suggestions on one TiVo and one entry on the other. I have not unplugged/rebooted either of my TiVo's/tuning adapter's in weeks.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I wish!! What cable system are you on, and what cable card and tuning adapter do you have?

3. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm with Bright House in SE Michigan. Motorola CC's/TA's. I spoke with TiVo and no patches/fixes have been sent out. So the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with a lineup change that occurred over the last few days which somehow triggered suggestions to populate. It will be interesting to see if suggestions continue to populate or if this was simply an isolated incident.

I will post an update in a few days...

4. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    YOU'RE RIGHT! I'm also on Brighthouse in SE Michigan. My Premiere 4 only has 1 suggestion but it's 1 more than I've ever had with the TA plugged in.

5. kherr

kherr Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I have a TA and have had them since day 1. I turned them off as soon as I figured how to do it. Good riddance ...... It was filling my Tivos with all kinds of off the wall pure junk. A total waste of electrons ........

6. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Too funny! I have a theory what's happening. Recently there was a lineup change in our area as well as some new channels added. It would appear that the suggestions are only populating for those new/changed channels. I believe the suggestions bug has to do with the channel map stored on the tuning adapter and the lineup changes has a similar effect as unplugging the tuning adapter in regards to those particular changes. Just a hunch...

7. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Some like suggestions, some don't. I happen to love them as I have found many great programs I wouldn't have ever known about. Furthermore, they don't take away ANY recording space since TiVo will overwrite this space whenever needed. I honestly don't see a downside...

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Suggestions do get better if you make an effort and use the thumbs to rate the TV shows. Don't wait for the Tivo to rate your shows for you (what you set to record automatically gets a :up:).
    For those with a new TiVo without much recording history, you can get a head start by rating shows while browsing through the guide.
    Also, even if you don't record suggestions, Tivo still keeps a list going. Make sure you go through that and thumbs down everything that is of no interest to you.

9. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    I have the record suggestions option shut off but I can still see what the suggestions are (at least on the series 2 right now). I like to look through the suggestions every so often, I have found some good suggestions and I can then set that 1 suggestion to record.

10. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    You're right the suggestion is on one of the new channels.

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    No TA here, but I concur with your opinion of "Suggestions"....waste of CPU usage, time and space...