1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuttering, video loss, what's going on?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ned4spd8874, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I've had this unit for less than a year and now it's starting to stutter and drop video. It's getting very annoying. I've read about the "kickstart" tests, but can't seem to get into that menu.

Is my TiVo dying already?!?!?

2. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Oh great, I was typing that as it was coming up again from me trying to get to kickstart mode. Now it's started, but no audio and the screen is flipping out big time! Crazy colors and everything. WTF!!!!

3. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
  4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes you can use that in a Tivo. Can you give us some more information on the model you have? Is it just the regular Tivo model? An XL maybe?

When you do the kickstart, you need to wait for the yellow light to flash, and as soon as it does hit the pause button on your remote, and then "54" to get it into the S.M.A.R.T. test screen. Then run the full test. Depending on your hard drive size it could take several hours to run. Do you know what size hard drive you have in your Tivo now? Is it the stock drive that came with the Tivo?

5. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Sorry, I thought I mentioned that, oops. It's the XL model. All stock.

I did wait for the yellow light to flash and followed those steps, but nothing.

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Don't panic yet. Do you have analog channels available on your cable system? If so, try those. Or can you try the cable hooked up directly to your TV to see if the problem persists? My cable system has been having issues with digital channels lately, especially the Clear QAM HD channels. They are at least partly blaming it on the network feeds from New York and the flood.

7. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    It's not the cable system. The TiVo does it on boot (please wait, just a minute more, etc.), with the THX screen and the tivo animation stuff.

8. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm thinking about just buying that hard drive. I need to order it in the next hour or two to get next day delivery. Is that a good one? Is there a better one? Could it not be the hard drive?

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    It could be a lot of other things as well. It could be your signal. Have you looked in the diagnostic screen to see what your signal level is? If you cant get it to do the kickstart, then I would suggest to take the drive out, get a copy Ultimate Boot CD which is free to download, or Data Lifeguard off the Western Digital website, and hook the drive to your computer and test it before you order another drive. It could be the drive, but then it could be something else, so dont waste your money if you dont need to. The drive may be just fine.

10. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I figured out why I couldn't get in kickstart, I was using my slide remote. Once I used the regular IR remote, it worked. Currently running the "54" SMART test. Any others that I should try?

So far, so good. it's on the Extended test right now. Everything has passed so far.

11. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Okay, great. It's still doing the Extended test, but has been at 10% done for about 10-15 minutes now. The elapsed time is no longer counting up. Should I reboot, or give it a little more time?

12. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Wait, if you have an XL then it came with a 1TB drive and it could take a long time to go thru the full test. Just let it run until its done. It's going to take several hours to go thru the full tests.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Just for the record, there is no Kickstart "menu" if you mean a visible list from which one selects an option.

You plug the TiVo into the wall socket, wait about 60 seconds, when you see a change in the lights on the front panel you press the "pause" button on the remote for about a second, then release it and enter, on the remote's number buttons, the number of the Kickstart you want the TiVo to run.

14. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm a fool. I think I figured out the problem. I have a logitech revue connected and rebooting that seemed to have fixed the issue. I totally forgot about that. This thing is becoming more trouble than it's worth!

Sorry everyone, thanks a ton for all the help and advice!!!