1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Ned Stark (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 #1 of 33
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This guy thinks Ned Stark is stupid. Is he being harsh? Or does he maybe, possibly, just conceivably have a point? :D

Sample:

[​IMG]

2. Jun 1, 2011 #2 of 33
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Ned seems like a guy that is virtuous, noble, and always follows the rules.

However he's involved in a game where the winners get all the glory and honor, and the losers will be branded as treasonous cowards that spread lies. I'm not sure if Ned's supposed to be this dense on purpose, but I'm hoping he realizes (maybe next season) that having honor wont get you far in this game.

3. Jun 1, 2011 #3 of 33
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Heh.

4. Jun 1, 2011 #4 of 33
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ned's brand of idealistic purity is the kind of thing that works a lot better for the Governor of Alaska than for the President's Chief of Staff. As he just found out the hard way.

(Not a Sarah Palin reference, in case you were wondering.)

5. Jun 1, 2011 #5 of 33
    jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    Heh. Heh.

6. Jun 1, 2011 #6 of 33
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't know if he's stupid as much as he believes in an honor code that he thinks exists in his world but not longer does. From what I'm getting he still believes in the "old gods" (I remember his bastard Jon Snow mentioning he does), which should tell you something about how he perceives the world. I don't think it's an accident that Ned is from Winterfell on the outskirts of the kingdom, far away from the goings on in King's Landing. So he really isn't privy to the kind of crap that goes on in the "capital". And he's a man also that isn't ambitious about being King while those around him are. He just wants things done as they "should be" based on protocol. Stupid, no, naive, certainly.

7. Jun 1, 2011 #7 of 33
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Well it IS stupid if it's obvious that's not the way the system operates anymore.

8. Jun 1, 2011 #8 of 33
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    But he's a better man (and more honorable) than that damn it!

EDIT: The spoiler directly below (by pjenkins) is a MAJOR spoiler. Do not idly click on it!
    You have been warned.

9. Jun 1, 2011 #9 of 33
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    he lives by a particular code that is not what others live by.

EDIT: this is a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the books

and his head coming off soon will show that was not the best decision for him, his family, or the realm!!!

10. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Why'd I open that.. Damnit.. That's quite a spoiler.

11. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005

First rule of Game of Thrones........dont get too attached to a character.

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I choose to take it as speculation.
    After all, he does have a knife at his throat ATM.

13. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    yeah, hence the spoiler tag :)

and there is more!! going to be a great final 3 episodes!!! can't wait until season 2 already either - i'm already plowing through book 2 - glad there is more ahead..

14. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    A man of honor, at King's Landing, is like bringing a tiny butter knife to a gun fight.

15. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    Bummer! That sucks! I guess Legion was right with his spoiler. :(

16. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    "You're asked to replace a man who was murdered on-the-job."

"Take the job."

17. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Seriously? You guys just drop a major spoiler in a thread about a meme? That's BS and you know it. It had nothing to do with the season on TV and you guys just ruined what was probably the finale. Thanks a bunch you idiots. I just added you all to my ignore list because of this. I've never done it before but you guys seem intent on ruining a TV show just because you read the books.

18. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Heinous! What was he thinking, putting a spoiler in a spoiler tag? There should be rules!

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Technically it's in spoiler tags so it's not against the rules, even in a non-spoiler thread. And, given that anyone who's participating in the GoT threads understands more than half the people around here have read the books and know all the upcoming plot points I would imagine that anyone who hasn't read the books would be extremely reluctant to open spoilers.

However, I do have to agree with DavidTigerFan etc. that spoilers of that magnitude (assuming it's true) should have some warnings around. IMO it's pretty uncool, pjenkins, to throw a season-defining bombshell spoiler as an afterthought into a post that seems fairly innocent without any notice whatsoever. That post should have "this is a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the books"-type messages all around it. Not required, but definitely simple common courtesy.

20. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    lol, i know. people on this board crack me up sometimes. to claim such anger, what children.

i did, however, put a further disclaimer on my earlier post for those that are too ****** to figure out that a spoiler tag is for, oh, i dunno, spoilers...