1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck on C&DE?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dan203, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So I bought a use HD for my Mom. I plugged it it and it booted up fine. However there were recordings in Now Playing so I figured I'd just do a C&DE just to start it over from scratch. However I started that process 2 hours ago and it'a still on that screen. Anything I can do? I plan on leaving it going over night, but at this point I don't have high hopes. So I'm hoping one of you might have a suggestion for me to try in the morning.

Before plugging it in I opened it up to clean out the dust and I checked the capacitors on the power supply. None of them looked even slightly bulged.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    How big is the drive?

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Dan, I hope either:
    1) You live very close to your mother
    -- OR --
    2) She's in one of those lucky cable systems where TiVo's don't require continual TLC, i.e., no Tuning Adapter and not Time Warner.
    ;)

4. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I also bought an HD for my mother a couple of weeks ago. It took about 4-6 hours for clear & delete to finish.

5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    If it never comes out of that, then a clean re-image should get you to the same place. In fact, I kind of prefer that route with a newly acquired box after I've verified basic operation. Takes less time than a C&DE for one thing.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sorry forgot to report back. By morning it was fine. So apparently the "will take about an hour" message they put up is total crap.

My Mom lives down the street. I'm planning on going over there sometime this week to help her activate the CableCARD. I've done a bunch of them myself and for the most part they're smooth. Although I setup a couple for my sister and it was kind of a PITA. (had to send a tech, who then made a phone call and had them working in 2 minutes :rolleyes: )