1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in Guided Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by xfm, Oct 31, 2012.

1. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Lost my FIOS in hurricane Sandy. Hooked up my Series 3 to antenna, but was originally set up for cable only. Went into GS to change to antenna but get mired down when it needs to contact TiVo since I have no Internet or phone service. Unable to back out of GS. Tried unplugging, rebooting but keep getting sent back to GS. HELP!!!

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As far as is known the only way out of GS is to complete it.

If you have no internet, how are you posting here?

Some kind of fancy cell phone?

Can you hook it to a computer to serve as a sort of modem and set the computer up for internet sharing?

3. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    thanks for the response. I posted on my iPhone. Took my S3 to my daughters house who just got her power back and now going through the agonizingly slow GS process via her Internet. Lesson learned -- can't do GS without phone or Internet.

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Here's a suggestion: Save a copy of the image now that it has been set up for OTA. Do the same after you get cable back and rerun Guided Setup for it. That way you have both versions and can just re-image the drive the next time we get a storm of the century. Even better would be to have a second drive with the "other" image as a backup on the shelf. A 250GB drive can't be all that expensive.

5. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Or better yet, do GS for BOTH, OTA and cable. Then disable the channels you don't want. That how my boxes are set up.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    :up::up::up:

Won't help me because OTA is basically non-existant here but a good idea for others.