1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming surprise

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Xiidaen, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    This may be a known feature but I missed it. I have the new Roamio Plus and a Premier as well. I'm having issues with HBO on the Roamio, but the premier works fine. I knew I could stream the Premier to the Roamio, but I was surprised this morning when I used the TiVo iPad app to browse to the premier and then selected 'watch now' on the iPad -- it worked fine.

Nice!

2. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    This button is presented when browsing my shows when using the "On DVR" tab. It acts as a one click control to bring up the selected program on the DVR.

michael

3. Kolenka

Kolenka New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    He's talking about streaming to the iPad. It uses the same watch now button, but offers the option to watch it on your iOS device if there is a TiVo stream on the network.

I can confirm that this does work. The Stream hardware in the Plus/Pro really acts like a separate device. Gets it's own IP address and MAC address. And so will talk to your other TiVos just like a stand-alone Stream box would.

4. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
  5. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Correct, and stated much more clearly. The Roamio can stream shows from my premier to my iPad.

6. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I am trying to understand the value of streaming to an iPad. Since it's only supported over your home WiFi, where your TVs are, what's the point?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I currently use my Android tablets and a Slingbox 350 to stream the Redskins football game while I am playing a game on my XBox 360. If/when they offer Android support then I will stream directly from the TiVo when at home. Although I typically only do this during the NFL football season.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I use mine daily to watch TV in bed. My wife wont let me put a real TV in the bedroom but she's OK with me watching my iPad on my night stand. She also uses it occasionally when she's doing something in the kitchen, another place we don't have an actual TV.

9. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    1) TV option for office, kitchen, or other room without TV

2) Watch TV in the room with my 2 year old while he is watching one of his shows on the TV.

3) Check scores etc while watching one of 'our' shows with the wife.

Also, my understanding is it will work outside your home network -- new feature expected this fall.

10. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    And on some cable networks (not here with Time Warner) you can download the shows to your ipad and take them with you for viewing anywhere.

11. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    tivo on the *****ter bro! ;)

(or so I've heard)

Truthfully - I kind of agree with you. But it's nice to have the option. (or I should say, it will be, once I get my roamio, and once they add android support)
    Sitting out on the deck with a show on could be cool. Wanna use the big tv but the kids are whining something fierce? Get them a cheap tablet and let them stream away. I know in the past it's been common to have many tv's in a household, but I wouldn't mind keeping it to just the 2 I have now, so streaming to tablets can help that happen too.

12. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Keeps the Grandkids occupied when they are over. Lets me watch live TV in the office where there is no TV. Lets me keep tabs on breaking news when I'm in the workshop. Lets me download and watch a show in the car while my wife shops.:(

And in the coming months will allow me to watch content from home while away from home.

13. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Does it also work with Apple computers or just iPad?

14. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    It is for mobile iOS devices.

15. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'm not a sport fan, but I'm guessing - To not miss a big play while spending some quality time in the rest room?

Or B - To watch a show when all the TVs are taken by others?

16. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I enjoy streaming to my ipad to watch football by the pool or racing and any live event that is not the same if you record it and watch it later like news... Great timing TiVo right as the new football season starts up. So I'm not going to miss any games and still pool time with the family. I got a lifeproof case for my ipad mini and I can watch games in the pool and cool off at the same time. :) I love to Stream.......

17. Kolenka

Kolenka New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Other folks already answered about streaming, but with streaming also comes copying. I can download transcoded copies of most shows on Comcast and take it with me. Kinda useful on trips where I may be staying at a hotel, or even out camping. A couple hours worth helps fill some of the downtime before going to bed on those trips.

And as others have also stated, streaming to outside the home is also coming "Very Soon(tm)". They said this was coming to the stand-alone Stream boxes as well, which makes sense now. The S5s really just embed the hardware, and so TiVo is really only pushing out one updated firmware to Stream devices. It doesn't matter if that device is stand-alone or embedded into a DVR.

18. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Streaming (and copying) opens up quite a few possibilities for extending TV beyond the traditional setups. Quite a few options have already been mentioned but a few others include while washing and detailing the vehicles, in the shower, for trips (especially on planes and in airports). I personally use a waterproof Bluetooth speaker to help the iPad project audio though.

I consider streaming a worthwhile investment to help consume more content while also being productive.

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I thought that I read somewhere that this capability exists now with the Roamio software.

I haven't tried it yet, has it worked for anyone?

20. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    The hardware does and soon the software will support it. Right now the feature is in a not yet enabled state.