1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming over VPN

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by wco81, Feb 25, 2014.

1. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Haven't streamed my Roamio Plus much out of the home because the PQ is poor.

But I was playing around with setting up a VPN only Mac.

Apparently the VPN doesn't fool the Tivo app on my iPad. Still shows as Away from Home Network.

Wondering if the streaming quality would be more comparable to in-home streaming if the Tivo app though it was still on the home LAN.

I have 5 Mbps upload.

2. jaredmwright

jaredmwright New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I would just pick up a Slingbox and be done with it. Easy to use, high quality and no hassle. VPN will be challenging to get working and video quality may suffer if you do get it working. Slingbox fixes these issues, although it does piggy back off live viewing, overall it will be a better solution. You can also stream onDemand and anything else your TiVo can play with no restrictions.

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    With no restrictions? SlingBox won't hit Macrovision copy protection, e.g. for HBO? or HCDP if using HDMI?

Also, he could just download when out of the house...

or download early, when IN the house in preparation.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Nope. HDMI input is pretty much useless, so don't bother, but using component input everything is accessible, and you can even capture the Slingbox digital encoding output if you want to using 3rd party tools.