1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming live TV outside the home with Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    So, it looks like the Roamio line will be able to stream live TV outside the home, correct? Basically, a built-in slingbox (Pro & Plus) if you will. When this feature comes, will it basically just use one of the Roamio's available tuners & not affect the current viewer?

I am hoping it works this way as I have looked into some slingbox type products that would work with TiVo, but all of them basically require changing the channel and would affect whoever is watching at that time. Having this non-intrusive feature on a Roamio would be great & could be a tipping point for me to get one.

Any thoughts?
  2. Philmatic

Philmatic New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Correct, also if you are watch a recorded show, no tuner is being used obviously.

The functionality is identical to the current in-home streaming implementation of the TiVo Stream.
  3. mcf57

mcf57 New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I think I read somewhere that it will be available on the $199 entry level Roamio too, but an additional Stream will be needed. If so, is there any chance of getting this "live TV" (outside the home) feature with a stream and a Premiere 4 box (as I recently got one)? Or is this a pipe dream?
  4. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Definitely possible. I'm not sure though.
  5. holycrap

holycrap New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Most questions will be answered when the service is available and some not until well after it becomes available.
  6. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
  7. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Though I sure thought I saw mention of it in some reviews, I haven't been able to find it again.. are you sure it will be identical? as in the ability to DOWNLOAD when outside the home, not just stream?

Even inside the home, I *usually* download shows (and watch while downloading typically), just so I can skip around faster.. With it supposedly using adaptive quality (but maybe not as adaptive as it could be, based on some reviews), maybe it won't be able to download?
  8. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I recall reading that both downloading and streaming will be available outside the home.