1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming live to iPad - why is a recording created?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mcomer, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mcomer

mcomer New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Apologies if this has been discussed already - my quick search did not turn up anything.

I love that I can stream not only recordings but LIVE TV to my iPad - primarily for keeping up with a couple of sports events (otherwise why not just record one and watch the other right, as discussed in the various PIP threads?). Sports IMHO is the one scenario where this is really nice.

That being said, why does my Roamio Plus need to start a recording in order to stream one tuner? My Mini can grab a tuner and stream WITHOUT a recording, so why would streaming to the iPad require a dummy recording being created? It's slightly frustrating having to delete the unwanted recording when done. (Ok, admittedly this is a nice-to-have-first-world-problem.) Still though, I wonder why the built-in Stream can't just grab a tuner like the Mini can? Does anyone know if Tivo has every said anything about this?
  2. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Your Mini does not require that the video be trans-coded to a different format. The iPad does.
  3. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    So why not do it on the fly like other devices can?
  4. moyekj

moyekj Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Yes it's pretty stupid. It's just a question of Stream being able to borrow a tuner like the Mini can to stream live TV which it probably can't do right now. Even if TiVo were considering implementing it that way though, the 2 tuner Premiere units would be out of the running, and unless 4 tuner series 4 units get Dynamic Tuning Allocation, they would be ineligible as well. I suppose TiVo could just choose to fix this when streaming from series 5 units, but that would probably generate complaints. So given the issues at hand I can see why it remains implemented the way it is now.
  5. NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I wondered the same thing. It does make sense now. Don't like it but it makes sense. maybe I need to just go buy a larger hard drive because once they allow you to view out of the home I'm going to need it! :):):)
  6. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    One thing I noticed, which is a bit annoying, is if you're watching a live sports broadcast, it'll cut off and stop playing once it hits the scheduled ending time. No extra hour buffer by default. For example, I was watching the A's baseball game last night, and at exactly 10pm, it stopped recording and so I had to start a new recording for the A's postgame show to watch the rest of the game.

This is streaming to an 3rd gen iPad btw.
  7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Yeah it's basically a macro right now. It records whatever is currently playing according to the guide and then starts streaming that recording. As soon as the recording ends the stream stops.

With the Minis doing DTA now it seems like it should be possible for them to add similar functionality to the Stream. However as moyekj pointed out there would be some issues with 2 tuner units.
  8. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I still use my cable co app (Cablevision) on my iPad bc frankly it's quicker to get right to a live station, change channels, etc. and it doesn't create recordings. But you can't stream out of the home.
  9. dslunceford

dslunceford Active Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Glad I found this thread...was wondering it myself. Think this will be very annoying if looking to stream live tv, especially if you channel surf, as the recording continues even after dropping the stream (think sick kid in bed watching from an iPad).

If a stream is requested, couldn't the software flag the recording (which wasn't requested to record) for immediate deletion afterward?