1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming from Windows Server 2003 X64

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jluvs2ride, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Hi y'all. First post.

I've been using my TIVO Premier to display media from my WHS running TIVO Publisher for WHS.

I am in the process of replacing the entire thing with a Dell Blade server I got cheap from EBay. I've installed Server 2003 64 bit and I am trying to determine the best solution for accessing my media from the new server with my TIVO.

Galleon and PYTivo seem to rather dated. I installed TIVO Publisher on the server and the service runs ok, but there's no front end to configure.

Any suggestions?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    pyTivo is not dated. Why do you say that?

3. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Ok, perhaps I'm mistaken or made a hasty judgement.

Is PYTivo my best solution here? Do I need Galleon as well? Something that runs as a service would best I think. I'm not concerned about getting content off of my TIVO.

I'm also considering just re-sharing the Share on my 2003 server.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    pytivo works better than the whs add on. I use it daily.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I have a soft spot for Galleon, but's definitely dated and on life-support. pyTivo is what you should use.

6. reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Tivo Publisher for WHS hasn't been updated since 2007. I'd go with pyTivo.

7. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks y'all. pyTivo it is.

8. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Ok, I installed pyTivo on my server built the shares on my RAID volume and using the web interface I configured the Photo, Music, and Video shares. Very easy to do.

I have noticed that my Tivo only displays the video folder and all the videos are displayed together under this folder rather than being in their respective folders.

I've double checked the configs for the shares. Is there perhaps a setting somewhere I may be missing?

9. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Just saw the thread about this having to do with the recent Tivo Fall Update. Which occurred just prior to my bringing up pyTivo on my server.

I am still not seeing the music and photos folders.

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think the issue with the 20.2.2 update is recordings not grouping into folders once they're transferred to the TiVo. It sounds like you're talking about the folders you have your videos organized in on your Windows server that pyTivo is displaying on your TiVo.

Check to make sure you don't have groups turned off. When browsing the pyTivo share I think the shortcut is to press the 2 button to toggle groups on and off.

If you post your pyTivo config here (taking out the sensitive stuff like your MAKs and passwords) we can check it out. Maybe something with your music setup is wrong.

11. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    [Server]
    port = 9032
    ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
    tdcat = C:\pyTivo\bin\tdcat.exe
    tivodecode = C:\pyTivo\bin\tivodecode.exe

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[Video]
    path = D:\Video
    type = video

[Music]
    type = music
    path = D:\Music

[Photos]
    path = D:\Photos
    type = photo

Pretty simple. I do notice that the Music and Photos parameters are arranged slightly different. I'll change that and see what happens.

My Tivo recorded stuff displays in properly in groups. This seems to be at a level lower than the top folder.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, it seems highly unlikely, but is it possible D:\Music and D:\Photos are not valid directory names? Is there a space or some other additional character in the names? Is it possible they are not on D:? Is it possible you are looking in the wrong place for your photos and your music? They don't show up in the Now Playing List (My Shows on some Premieres), you know. They are under "Music, Photos, and Showcases" 'Grasping at straws, here, so please don't be put off by the questions.

13. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Hey, I appreciate any help. Fixin to leave work now I'll check into it more at home.

Thanks.

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You might re-read my previous post. I made some changes to it just as you were sending your reply.

15. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You do know that music and photos will come up under showcases and apps, not in myShows with your videos right?

16. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Ooooppss!! I didn't realize that. So that is probably it. I'll know for sure when I get home, thanks.

As of this morning however all my videos are still displayed under the single folder "Videos" rather than organized in their respective folders. I do have grouping turned on.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You may have grouping turned on for "My Shows", but clearly not for the remote view. Go to that view and press "2".

It's the HDUI/SDUI division that breaks these up -- in SDUI mode, pressing "2" in either location changes the mode for both. In the HDUI, they're semi-independent.

18. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Yep you nailed it. This thing works great. In spite of my questions here it is really easy to setup.