1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream Tivo Shows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Raver, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Raver

Raver New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Now that other dvrs are catching up to Tivo, when is Tivo going to allow me to view my shows (from PC -pictures/music) via streaming from any device or connection for non apple products? I don’t want the mini…doesn’t do what I want anyway. Also I shouldn’t need to be on the same connection to delete shows.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Closest thing to what you want is "streambaby".

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Slingbox

Tivo Stream support for android is in the works. Doubtful it will work for PC any time soon.

One other way is using a NAS or PC to retrieve the videos, convert and stream them.

In the as stored mpeg2 format on the TiVo, they require too much bandwidth to stream effectively outside the local network.

4. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    That is one of the big questions Tivo hasn't answered.

5. Raver

Raver New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Ya, imho Tivo is loosing ground to the other DVR's when they sat around for 10yrs being king. I know slingbox and streambaby but Tivo needs to bring up their game and offer this, they are now falling behind.....name Premier is lost.

I convert my shows and load them on my Kindle Fire or Zune and that's fine when I'm traveling but I should be able to log in an stream all from Tivo Desktop all recorded shows, current live, pics and music. Bandwidth isn't the problem lack of priorities is. Slingbox can do it..so what's the excuse? I'd also like the ability to watch my movies via Netflix via this connection as well. Tivo if your listening time to get to the head of the class not just in the sea of namelessness.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    This is not the field of dreams- if tivo builds it, it does not mean people will flock to such a feature. It is a fine line of making a product and making it profitable.

You are asking for a Stream for android, and not a mini from android.

Also- I'm thinking tivo is losing ground, not loosing. ;)

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Current TiVo hardware cannot encode h.264 codec video, hence the need for the stream add on. Android app support is coming although far too slow.

Tivo has already indicated that stream capability will be built in to next gen hardware. Makes sense as all the Broadcom chips that would likely support the next gen TiVo do h.264 encoding on board.

Slingbox can stream the same reason the stream box can, hardware h.264 encoder. The limiting factor for the stream box is cable labs, not the technology.

8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Tivo is losing ground to what DVR's? What free standing retail DVR's are left? It seems everything else other than Tivo are cable rental boxes. I don't see the cable co's that interested in this.