1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream Question - Viewing on tv in another room

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by elwaylite, Jul 17, 2014.

1. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I am getting rid of the Directv rcvr in the bedroom, and was looking for something I could hookup in there to watch recordings off the living room Roamio Basic on my bedroom tv.

Are there any copyright issues using it this way? I also download stuff (VOD tv shows) from Amazon to the basic as well. I have ethernet to the Roamio and would just plug the stream directly into the router because it is in the bedroom.

TIA

Edit: Neverming, just realized this doesnt even have video outs.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
  3. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Thanks. Just not sure if itll work well over ethernet, seems they prefer Moca. I know when Directv first came out with whole home over ethernet, it did not work well at all.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Lots of people use a Mini connected via wired Ethernet. While I don't have a Mini myself, I do stream recordings from my Premiere to my Roamio over Ethernet. And yes, that is streaming, not transferring, although I also do that occasionally.

100Mb Ethernet is plenty fast enough to support streaming.

What isn't officially supported is a wireless connection. So if your Roamio is using a wireless connection, it becomes a bit more problematic.

5. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    THanks!

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    One thing I have not yet mentioned is that the Mini requires service. Either $5.99/mo or a one time payment of $149 for product lifetime service.

You might want to look on Craig's list or e-bay. In any case, you should probably not get it directly from TiVo unless you can get a better deal than they are currently offering.

7. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I was a DirecTV multi-room beta tester and it worked great if you had good dual band network. I streamed on the room to room rack HDR-2x on a wireless N 5Ghz bridge while my pc and printer were on the router. Once every other week I might encounter having a dropped connection.

I currently stream room to room on an AC 5Ghz wireless connection once in awhile I do have to reboot a bridge.

8. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Actually, they typically work better on Ethernet compared to moca. Those who had had connection issues and stuttering video have resolved it by switching from moca to Ethernet.

9. mpf541

mpf541 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    These work great over ethernet. I was happy to start using these. Let me send cable cards back to Comcast and sold tiki i was using on ebay. That paid for the mini and lifetime service.I never tried Moca as I had wired ethernet in place already.