1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream now - when will Set Top Boxes arrive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by NoVa, Sep 12, 2012.

1. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Now that we have Stream - when will we get Set Top Boxes to receive those streams for our 2ndary+ TV's?

2. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
  3. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Has a wireless set top box utilizing the compressed content from the Stream even been promised? The Preview ain't it.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I assume he's talking about the Mini. There's no need for a set top box to stream from the Stream. It can stream directly from the Premiere.

I'm wrong, the OP did mean to receive content from the Stream. Nope, they'll never do that. In particular, I bet they'll continue to disable HDMI-out in the iPad app to prevent exactly that.

It would be pretty neat if something like an Apple TV could run the Tivo iPad app. Not something I expect to see though.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is a device called the TiVo Mini, which is a small box that can stream from any TiVo in your house, that will be released in the next few months. However it does NOT require the stream. The Stream is only for iPad streaming. The Mini will be like a diskless TiVo and can stream directly from any other TiVo in your house.

Dan

6. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Oooh - that's more like it. Thanks for the 411 Dan!

7. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  8. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    and for what it's worth, Wii U is completely wireless out of the box. No Ethernet without buying a dongle.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Two important clarifications. (Which I believe you know, but should be stated for other readers)
    1) I believe the TiVo Mini can stream from any TiVo Premiere in your house. (Older S2/S3/HDs can't stream)
    2) On release it will apparently require a 4-tuner TiVo be present during setup (but we're told this restriction will eventually go away with new software)

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Stream also requires a Premiere to work, so that's kind of a given based on the context of the thread.

The 4 tuner requirement is hearsay at the moment. It's likely to be true, but that information was given out at a demo months ago. TiVo could have changed their mind since then. Or at least we can hope they did. I have a 4 tuner box, but I'm not willing to dedicate a tuner to a Mini for a live TV stream I'll never use.

Dan

12. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    It would be nice to go boxless considering the capabilities of a lot of the SmartTVs now. I'd love to see a TiVo application deployed to SmartTVs with full control or at least DLNA so you could watch recorded shows.

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think we will see this -- TiVo's cable partners are demanding it.