1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream no longer is useful because everything is copyright protected.

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by esilbe1, Jun 16, 2014.

1. esilbe1

esilbe1 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I am really fed up with TiVo stream. I restarted my TiVo premier this morning only to find that zero of my recorded shows can be downloaded to my iPhone through Tivo Stream. It appears they are being prevented from transfer because of copyright.

While I understand that content provider want to protect unlawful distribution of their material, I can't believe TiVo has not brokered a deal with media companies for device-to-device streaming using TiVo.

What's the point of having Stream if I can only transfer broadcast shows. I pay for Cable TV for premium content. I pay for TiVo to store and distribute that content. Then why am I not able to have access to it? Instead, I have to pay to download it form iTunes, which makes it even worse because the content is costing my twice as much.

I just don't get it. I wonder if it were a different company - like Netflix - what this scenario would look like.

I'm such an unhappy customer, I'm thinking of getting rid of TiVo.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I'll buy it.

Tivo has no leverage over your provider to get them to erode their revenue to change the flags back. Talk to them, complain to FCC, hire an attorney. If Tivo could have moved that mountain they would have.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah it sucks, but due to CableCARD rules TiVo is required to respect the flag set by your cable provider. And because of the FCC rules laid out for them they are allowed to flag anything except the broadcast channels. Most providers only flag the premium channels, but some, especially Time Warner and Brighthouse, flag everything except the broadcast channels. There is nothing TiVo can do about it. And the only thing you can do about it is complain to your provider, but they will likely just ignore you or respond saying they are complying with the law.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Still a head-scratcher as to why you can't stream these shows to the phone out of home however. Downloads I get, streams I do not. Silicondust does it today with Cablecard, but apparently Tivo has really crappy lawyers or as usual they roll over at the first hint of pushback.

5. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Since they they got into bed with the cable companies, they really don't care about offer real choices to the consumer. Be legal reasons or their change in their companies direction, they refuse to go to bat for us, the people who made Tivo successful. There all ALL kinds of "legitimate" excuses but the fact is that the retail Tivo product is going away quickly.

We don't have android stream support, not because Tivo can't solve the technical issue of delivering it but rather because their agreements with their new bosses require them to support the cable providers first and the retail consumer when ever they get around to it. The cable companies typical operating manner is to not offer choices but to maximize their revenue.

Right now the retail customers are just a pain that Tivo puts up with until all of our purchased equipment becomes too old and obsolete, your next Tivo will be rented from your cable company.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah that's a mystery. There is no law governing that one way or the other, so it's a total gray area. Maybe SD is just taking the chance TiVo isn't willing to take.

7. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I have a retired Lifetime Humax TiVo, what if the shows I recorded on it were and transfered to my Premier, could I stream then?

8. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    You should be able to, the copy flag only effects recordings made on cable card models (series 3, 4 & 5) if your cable provider sets it. The exception would be if you use pyTivo to push a recording up to a Tivo then the copy once flag is set which you can avoid by pulling instead of pushing.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually those old S2 units supported another copy protection scheme from MacroVision. It's rare to see a show flagged, but if it is you'll be unable to even transfer it to the Premiere.

10. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  11. jevans14

jevans14 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I am not disputing anything said here. I do however find that it is totally unacceptable to be unable to stream shows because they are copyright protected or even download them. This is a feature that Tivo advertises and last month when I got my Tivo Romeo it worked. Now it does not. And to add insult to injury even transferring any shows to PC via Tivotogo is not working. Tivo needs to put forth the effort to get the copyright stuff sorted out with the cable companies. :(

12. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo is NOT the problem, it's the Cable Companies that you need to be going after, THEY are the issue, not Tivo.

I have Verizon FiOS, nothing but HBO is protected, Tivo's technology works great for me.

13. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Maybe because SD isn't making deals with cabelcos?

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They are equally the problem, in my view, as evidenced by others able and willing to stream CP'd stuff.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    So Silicon Dust can stream protected content outside the home? if so that's a new development in the HDHomerun Prime feature set.

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
  17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Cinemax is also protected on FiOS. WHich does suck that both HBO and Cinemax are copy protected since that was that the case until fairly recently. But it could be alot worse as the OP found out.

18. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  19. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    This is a cable company issue, not a TiVo issue. Let's say that you love the golf channel and your cable company includes it in you package. You TiVo it all the time. Tomorrow morning you wake to find that your cable company has dropped that channel. Now you can no longer TiVo that channel. Is that tivo's problem? This is about your cable company deciding what you can and cannot view and how you can view it.

20. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    My situation is even stranger. 1/3 of the same recorded series tv shows can be downloaded, the other 2/3 cannot. Im wondering if this isn't an app issue? I think my iPad did an update to the tivo app within the last few days. So maybe this is an app issue that tivo isn't aware of or needs another update to fix? I seriously doubt its the cable card/cable company issue. Especially when some download and others of the same tv series will not.

The shows I download are things like the old andy griffith, bewitched, hogans heroes.
    The shows are also available OTA using the tivo roamio antenna option instead of the cablecard. So this weekend I will hook up one of my 4 tivos to just the ota antenna and see if these same shows recorded over ota antenna will transfer/download. One way or another I will get it to download.

PS...!!!
    Now Im really konfused...
    I have one tivo roamio plus with the built-in streamer, and also three basic roamio's, and I just discovered the SAME SHOWS that were recorded on the "plus" unit ALL transfer/download just fine. BUT... the issue with only "some" of the shows transferring/downloading happens ONLY when accessing the "basic" units which is done thru the built-in PLUS stream feature that access the other units. Basically like using a stand-alone stream unit.
    Yet... like I said, only 1/3 of those "basic" roamio unit recorded shows will transfer/download.
    All 4 tivo's currently have/use cable-cards.

So.... is this a "plus" unit issue?
    Or... a communication issue with the PLUS unit built-in streaming feature when accessing recordings on the basic units?
    When I bought the PLUS, I was told the plus built-in stream could access shows on all the other units, which are basic units.

So I have the very same series episodes recorded on the PLUS unit as well on one of the BASIC units.
    The recordings from the PLUS all will download (except HBO and premium recordings, naturally), where as when pulling the same duplicated recordings off the basic units, only a third of those basic-unit duplicated recordings will transfer/download.
    Sounds like a firmware issue to me with roamio PLUS units having the stream feature, or an app issue, or maybe both?