1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream, Baby, Stream works fine

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by monkeydust, Aug 21, 2013.

1. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Works just fine on my Plus.

2. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Externally outside of the home? Or are you talking just inside the home network? I think the internal streaming is suppose to work out of the box. It's the slingbox like internet streaming that's "coming soon." Correct?

3. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Internal. Stream baby stream is a third party app that hasn't been updated in years. It is what we use stream all sorts of encoded videos from my pc. Was just saying that it seems to work fine (whereas it does not work with my Mini).

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    But what about PyTiVo?

5. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I've never used it. What does it do?

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
  7. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
  8. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I use the same method for PyTivo, though I think it's possible to have a service running in the background. PyTivo uses file transfers instead of streaming.

9. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Really? This page said it streams.

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's the original post from 2006 when the terminology hadn't really been settled on. ;) It "streams" in that you can watch the recording while it's transferring but you can't skip ahead past the portion that has already transferred like you can with streambaby.

11. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Ok, thanks. I guess for me one advantage of PyTivo would be that I could transfer some shows to the Tivo and then use my Mini to view since Stream, Baby, Stream does not work on the Mini. But, my Mini is on a Samsung SmartTV that can stream off my PC (although without FF/REW functionality)

12. ramiss

ramiss New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    You can also push with Streambaby and then view the recording on the Mini. In my opinion Streambaby is far superior to Pytivo (except for the ability to stream music). So I use Streambaby for video (stream and push) and then have Pytivo running only for mp3s.

13. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    ramiss, i am not saying that you are wrong about this, but i am curious about your reasoning.

What is it that makes streambaby superior over pytivo for video?

TC

14. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I could never keep Streambaby working and once I got the Roamio I gave up on trying. pyTivo works great. Just wish I could get Movie poster art to transfer over too when I use the metadata program.(forgot its name)

15. kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    I am glad to see that Streambaby works with the Roamios. I am considering replacing my Series 3 HD with a Roamio Basic. I like Streambaby for watching 30 minute to 1 hour videos. But due to the 1 GB buffer, watching a 2 hour hidef movie is interrupted several times for rebuffering. Is there a workaround for this or has a newer version been released with a larger buffer? BTW, I use Metadata Generator to create the metadata.

16. kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    I can answer my own question. There is indeed a new version of Streambaby. I have v29. The latest is v42. The 1 GB buffer was removed in v31. The buffer is now set to 20GB and can be changed in the .ini file. Yippee! Many thanks to the person/people working on this.

17. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Where did you find this? Still v29 at

https://code.google.com/p/streambaby/

Edit: answered my own question, v42 is at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/streambaby/

18. kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    I like the new features - higher buffer and automatic metadata. I could not get the directory password to work. I submitted a ticket to Sourceforge.

19. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
  20. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Is there a walkthrough on how to configure this?