1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream and CNBC

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by JeffreyLangBoyd, Jan 30, 2014.

1. JeffreyLangBoyd

JeffreyLangBoyd New Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I've read on Amazon that many cable shows can't be streamed to an IPAD. Is this true?

If that is true, is it universally true or kind of hit or miss? If someone knows specifically about CNBC I'd be interested in knowing.

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Streaming to the iPad while in your residence is always unrestricted. Streaming outside your home is more dependent on your cable provider. If you have Time Warner, most everything will be blocked outside of the home. Other providers can be hit or miss. Post your Provider and region and someone here might be able to chime in.

3. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    While streaming at home is unrestricted, the Tivo Stream cannot currently handle MPEG-4 channels. There are very few channels using MPEG-4 right now, and I've never run into any issues streaming shows with my Fios service, but your mileage may vary (and others may want to weigh in on what channels they get that are using MPEG-4).

4. JeffreyLangBoyd

JeffreyLangBoyd New Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Thanks. Wild that it can stream inside the home but not out.

Anyone know what Charter's policies in Wisconsin (Madison area) are with regard to streaming?

5. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    If it's like Charter's polices everywhere else in the nation, the Stream is useless outside your house. I have Cox and they copy protect everything except the broadcast channels, and my Stream is all but useless the second I leave the house.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have Charter and the only thing they encrypt are the premium channels. So OOH streaming works fine for most things.

7. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Sorry, I must have gotten my wires crossed. So Charter, Comcast and Verizon are good CCI providers, Bright House, Cox and Time Warner are terrible.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You can't generalize on Cox. Some areas like mine only copy protect premium channels. That's the case for a few other Cox markets as well.

9. Feb 1, 2014 #9 of 11
    gamo62

gamo62 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Actually that is not true. Depending on your provider, as much as 98% are H.264. Cincinnati Bell Fioptics uses H.264 for EVERYTHING except broadcast networks. Companies are going to that format, to get rid of Tuning Adapters.

10. richbrew

richbrew TiVo Fan

Feb 6, 2002
    Macon, GA
    And where I am, NOTHING is protected by Cox, including premium channels.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Charter was like that here until a couple years ago. Was nice to be able to download movies and shows from the Premium channels to make DVDs for my family.