1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange TiVo Central message

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DPJohnson, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DPJohnson

DPJohnson New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Council...
    On the TiVo central page I have a message: Please Activate Service, Go to UNKNOWN and enter your TiVo service number to activate this UNKNOWN. THe UNKNOWN will not work without an active service subscription.

How to I go to UNKNOWN???

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Has the drive been replaced? many weird things will happen with a replaced drive that needs a C&DE done to it.

3. Bad_Dog

Bad_Dog New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Reviving an old thread, but I also have this same issue.

I just bought a Premiere XL4 off of ebay - new, never been open. It doesn't have a Cablecard yet (I have Fios and it's on order), so all I've done is the guided setup and its downloaded its various updates and such.

I get this error message on the Tivo Central home page, just as the OP had. I haven't activated service yet and I'm concerned that there may be issues and don't want to purchase a Lifetime activation and be stuck with a dud.

You mentioned a "C&DE". What is that?

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    "Clear and Delete Everything"

5. Bad_Dog

Bad_Dog New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Ok, thanks.

When I started it up, it didn't have anything on it and it took me through the initial guided startup, giving me the impression that it's new or had gone through the wipe previously. There's nothing about its packaging that leads me to believe that this is/was a used device.

Since it's new and there's nothing on it, I can do the full reset and see if that changes it.

6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    If you do a clear and delete everything, you will lose the thx optimizer video and there's no way to recover it after it's lost.

7. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, I learned that little fact the hard way.

8. Bad_Dog

Bad_Dog New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Ooow, good to know. Haven't done it yet...

Meanwhile, I'm left with wondering whether or not this is a bad error or benign. I think I'm going to call support.

9. Bad_Dog

Bad_Dog New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Called support and here's what they said...

They confirmed that it is a new box, so it's not an issue of getting screwed by ebay. The rep said that he's seen the error before, but it's not really an issue. It's related to the fact that it's not activated, and in addition, possibly due to the fact that it doesn't have Cable service / Mcard installed.

I was concerned about the error because I didn't want to activate it (intending to do Lifetime) and didn't want to be left with a bad machine. Didn't realize they have a 30-day money back guarantee, so I'm good to go. :cool:

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    I have that THX video if anyone really needs it (extracted from my 748 XL). Personally, I think that adjusting the TV to your personal tastes/lighting conditions/preferences beats a "calibration" video any day.

11. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Agreed. (do I ever disagree with you?)

Only ONE/TWO thoughts came to mind over what it would, or could, hurt to lose that video: The potential resale value/A buyer that may expect it to be there, if it isn't disclosed it is not?

Is your copy of the THX video something easily added? I couldn't find a way to make a copy of it off from the TiVo. It's protected. No MRV/MRS/TiVoDeskTop options to keep a backup, of just the THX video.

If there's any concerns about this leading the way of breaking the forum rules, I suggest we stop all speak of the THX video, in public areas, and go to PM mode.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    The easy way to get it back is to restore a DvrBARS image to the drive. If you have already done a C&DE, overwriting the drive with a factory or truncated image wouldn't lose anything.

13. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I've seen this happen a few times on original drive units. Had it happen on pretty much every Premiere I've owned after the 20.2 update before activation. From the Premiere I got in 2010 upon reactivation, the Premiere I got in February, and the Premiere 4 I got in May. Once it connects to the server and obtains an account it fixes itself.

14. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Sure I'd love to have that video if your able to, please.

15. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I'm sure he'll PM you about it. I got my PM from him.

Please consider donating to his DVRBARS project. Without it, that video would very likely still be unavailable to anybody who lost it. The more I speak with him, the more I realize just how much effort he puts into things, and a utility that he CHOOSES to provide for free.