1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem, maybe power supply or ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jza80, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jza80

jza80 New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Yesterday we had a power outage, when I tried to restart our S3 (THX model), there was absolutely no indication of power. No lights, no fans, nothing. The unit is on a good quality voltage conditioner, so there was no power spike. It just turned off with the outage and turned on when I restarted the power conditioner.

So then this morning, it is back on again and working normally.

I know it was receiving 120v last night, and I even swapped a power cord with another device that was working and continued to work with the S3's cord.

This condition seems a little atypical for a PS failure. Has anybody ever experienced this kind of problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Sometimes computers lose just enough power as to not cause a reboot, but enough to scramble the RAM.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have to turn that power/voltage conditioner on/off, then if it's turned off or otherwise needs to be turned on, why wouldn't the TiVo be off until it was turned back on?

And you really should have that TiVo on a UPS.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Of course anyone with that model TiVo should lift the lid and check for capacitor plague anyway just because it's a Series 2 or Series 3 TiVo.