1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange performance issue - base Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jfh3, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Observed a strange performance issue with the Roamio

Here are the boxes involved:

A). Roamio, OTA. Was recording 2 programs and was host for a folder of shows

B). Roamio Pro. Transferring a bunch of programs from A.

C). Premiere Elite. Recording 2 shows, hosting a program I wanted to watch.

All 3 boxes hard wired gigabit network.

Using the Roamio OTA, I went to watch a a HD program on the Premiere via MRV. Program started to play, but audio was choppy and video not smooth. Restarted the program, same result. Tried 3 other programs, same result.

Switched to Roamio Pro. Went to watch same program via MRV, program played perfectly.

Switched back to Roamio. Program still stuttered.

Can anyone duplicate this issue?

Is a simultaneous transfer and an MRV to much for the NIC ports on the Roamio and/or Premiere?

2. Lrscpa

Lrscpa New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I've had no issue streaming from the Roamio Basic to a Tivo HD via MoCA in either direction.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Basic only has 10/100 while the Pro has gigabit. How many streams did you have going in and out of the Basic?

4. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I think just two:

1) a show being transferred from the Basic to the Pro
    2) the MRV session from the Premiere to the Basic

That's what confused me - I figured it should be able to handle two. Both programs were good size HD programs, but still ...

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In the past the max was 3. Is there any other network traffic on the same switch that might be slowing it down?

What you're describing is what I use to see with my powerline network if I tried to transfer and stream at the same time.

6. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No. At the time, only the TiVo traffic.

But what concerns me is that the Basic had trouble while the Pro didn't under the same conditions, leading me to believe the NIC on the basic being 100/10 is the issue, yet I don't ever remember seeing this on the Premiere unit the basic replaced.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Could it be one of your switches or router not handling the downgrade to 10/100 gracefully?

8. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Don't think so - if it was, then I would see the same problem with the Premiere.