1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Cancellation Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pigbat, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pigbat

pigbat New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    I've been a customer since 2004 and needed to upgrade to a premiere or move to a cable DVR due to a migration to MPEG-4 transition at our cable co. I figured I'd call and explain my situation. Our cable DVR is actually cheaper than Tivo service on a new unit so I assumed they would try to sell me a premiere and I'd try to get grandfathered in on my plan. There was absolutely no attempt to keep me as a customer. I called and was cancelled within 5 minutes.

Bravo for making cancellation easy but I would have been an easy customer to retain. I'm not sure I understand their business model.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you wanted a deal, then you should have asked for one. I'm not sure you would have goon anything other than cheap lifetime on your old unit.

3. pigbat

pigbat New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    I would have settled with them asking to retain my business. :) At that point I would have asked for a deal. They could have said no and I may have opted to still buy a Premiere. The fact that they didn't even attempt to retain is a little shocking.

No big deal I guess. I already have one cable DVR and ill just get a second one for now. I am also a current Tivo stock owner so I'm just a little dismayed at their lack of training for the associates to retain. I suppose they are more focused on revenue from patent law than subscription revenue.

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    What kind of deal were you looking for when you called in?

Usually if you dont get the deal you want when you call, its better sometimes to just let the dust settle, and call back later and get someone different. I did that when I got the $99 lifetime deal on my TivoHD's. The first person I talked to didnt want to do it, so I called back the next day and got it right away. A lot of times it just depends on who you get on the phone at Tivo.

5. pigbat

pigbat New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    My provider is changing things up so lifetiming my HD is no good to me. The Tivo HD doesn't support MPEG-4 programming. I was planning to buy a Premiere if I could grandfather the $6.95 MSD. It was pretty clear this wasn't an option so I went ahead and asked to be cancelled. They transferred me to the advanced billing team who processed my cancellation.

Like I said, no big deal. My DVR service through Cox is actually cheaper than going the Tivo route when you start to look at the higher MSD pricing. I will probably be back at some point but I'll wait for new hardware to be released and either go with a second Cox DVR or just a Roku for now.

6. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    YOu did like I do sometimes. Don't care if you stay with a decent deal or get canceled. And just like to see what happens if you don't influence them. :D

7. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Which Market (City) are you in?
    I've done the math and the Cox Whole Home DVR w/ the "Plus Package" (MPEG4 Channels) is quite a bit more than the TiVo Premiere, and the Cox Trio IPG has been plagued with problems.

Cox also charges $5-$10/mo for the MPEG4 channels on their equipment but are free with a CableCARD. (Note Cox San Diego will be un-bundling the Plus Package channels from the Whole Home DVR effective Nov. 7th, but that is the only market I am aware of)

8. pigbat

pigbat New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    I am in Omaha. The whole home DVR is definitely more expensive. I was going to go with a second standalone which is cheaper over 42 months in comparison to buying a premiere.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    This is a new one. A customer calls Tivo customer service and gets exactly what was asked for in just a few short minutes and then calls it a strange experience and complains about it.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Yes, there was a post about somebody that wanted to cancel and TiVo put him through hell trying to keep him as a customer, and he complained. TiVo can't win.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As a stock holder you should write a letter (stressing that you are a stockholder) to the board of directors making them aware of the situation.

Perhaps a registered letter where they have to sign for it to indicate that you're serious.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes??? what are you boldly saying yes to? I didn't even ask a question.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The "yes" was an agreement with you, not expressed (by me) in the most elegant way.