1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stops Responding to Remote Commands

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by eddieb187, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1 of 737
    eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    Why does my TiVo Premiere XL stop responding to remote commands?
    I stopped using the HDUI because of lockups and have been using the SDUI since 14.5 update and now this issue occurs. Did not happen before 14.5.
    Several times now my XL has had this remote issue. Last couple of times it rebooted itself after about 10 minutes of no response.
    This time after about 20 minutes it went to TiVo Central and remote command response it back now without a reboot.
    And when will they fix the Resolution Output issue. Mine keeps unchecking all outputs but one, usually 1080i or 720p. No matter what I select after a short time only one output will remain checked. We need a "Native" override please.
    Six months now and they still have a long way to go before the Premiere is finished.

2. Sep 29, 2010 #2 of 737
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I have had the same remote issue running on 14.5 and 14.6 pre-release posted by TiVo Margaret. Sometimes the remote responds fine, but othertimes it lags big time and takes a while to register commands, or I have to enter them multiple times and hope it starts working. I haven't noticed my Premiere rebooting, although I have only had it since Friday. Overall the HD interface is much slower than the standard SD interface and I hope they improve it.

3. Sep 29, 2010 #3 of 737
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You are not alone in the Premiere SDUI "freezes" (unresponsive to remote). In my case the TiVo does not reboot but eventually becomes responsive again after a couple of minutes, but it's still very annoying and something my S3 does not suffer from. There are others using SDUI also reporting this same issue. By any chance do you have a Tuning Adapter or External drive attached to USB?

4. Sep 29, 2010 #4 of 737
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I am not using an SDV adapter or external drive, Comcast does not use SDV in my area yet and my TiVo is directly connected using ethernet to my gigabit switch. I have been trying to use the HDUI but the slowness really is a drag when trying to navigate, even just going forward and back to delete a show or make a small change is aggrevating due to how slow it is. I have also noticed in the HDUI when navigating My Shows list that I get a network error that network connectivity has been lost and it kicks me to the main TiVo screen and I have to wait for all of the images in the top bar to return before regaining use. This happened about 4 times this afternoon and I almost switched the the SDUI, but I figure the more people using the HDUI to report bugs and issues, the quicker they may be resolved.

5. Sep 29, 2010 #5 of 737
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I started a transfer from my computer to my Premiere and it got stuck here after navigating to the My Shows list while it was downloading. It has been like this for over an hour. You can't tell in the picture, but the green circle is spinning, so it isn't completely locked up and my transfer appears to be continuing. I am going to let the transfer finish and see if it comes back, otherwise a reboot may be required.

Photo Sep 29, 11 12 50 AM.jpg

6. Sep 29, 2010 #6 of 737
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Shopping Paid Programming is rated TV-MA? What are they SELLING?

Ditch the HD UI and you should have less problems.

7. Sep 29, 2010 #7 of 737
    eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    I have SDV with Time Warner Cable and that requires a Tuning Adapter.
    I have the Cisco STA1520.
    I do not have an external HDD attached though.
    Why? Do you think the TA is the cause?
    I have the same TA on my TiVoHD upstairs and do not have the remote response issue with that unit.
    Funny, I don't have the resolution output issue with my TiVoHD either.
    I should have just got another HD.

8. Sep 29, 2010 #8 of 737
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    curiousgeorge: I actually use pytivo to pull files with metadata into folders and that is the rating I used in the metadata. It shows up as "Paid Programming" due to the seriesid I used, which is rather fitting since it is Paid content in the folder not recorded.

A reboot was necessary to fix the issue. The transfer finished, and was successful by the way, which means this is definitely an HDUI bug.

9. Sep 29, 2010 #9 of 737
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just trying to find a common factor for those that do have SDUI freezes. Once in a blue moon I will get freeze on my S3 with TA attached as well and actually found a couple of times disconnecting the TA would unfreeze it. Before the TA addition to my S3 I never had these kinds of freezes which is why I suspect the TA contributes to the problem. So I'm thinking combination of Premiere + TA increases likelihood of freezes, but it's just uncorroborated speculation. Note that with TA attached every remote control action you perform gets communicated to the TA via USB - for my Moto TA there is an LED light that flashes whenever TiVo communicates with it, and every time I execute a remote command on TiVo a second later the TA LED flashes. So I suspect that passing the commands along via USB sometimes hangs up which then causes the TiVo to become unresponsive to remote control.

10. Sep 29, 2010 #10 of 737
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Heh. Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't imagine what kind of shopping channels or infomercials you had there if they were MA-TV!

11. Sep 30, 2010 #11 of 737
    baimo

baimo Member

Mar 2, 2006
    NJ
    Cablevision acknowledged the problem with the tuning adapter. They had a tivo tech giy ask me if I would help debug the problem by reporting reguarly when it would freeze up. I told them I would not participate. I used to be a programmer so I dont have patience to do their work for them. I have removed the tuning adater ( I only get about 8 other chanels with it attached), asked cablevision to let me know when they fix the problem (haha) and now my Tivo performs much better.
    I visit this forum to see if Tivo has fixed the problem. I know cablevision wont call me.

12. Sep 30, 2010 #12 of 737
    larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Glad I found this thread. I am having the same issue with one of my new Premiere boxes. It first happened last week while I was running the HDUI to try it out. We watched a show and talked about how cool the HDUI was and turned off the TV and went to bed. When we got up the next morning, the Tivo was unresponsive to the remote although the orange light would light on the unit when a button was pressed, it remained on the channel that was playing. I did determine that the guide button would work which allowed me to change channels that way but when I would press the Tivo button, I would get the "ding" but nothing happened- even after a reboot. I called Tivo support and they were able to get it back working using a kcikstart code to reload the menus. They suggested I go back to the SDUI until the next update, so I did.

Everything worked flawlessly for four days until yesterday. My daughter was watching a transfer from another Tivo and about half way through (the transfer was complete by that time), when she tried to skip through the commercials...nothing. This time, no "ding" and no response to ANY key at all. Even the kickstart wouldn't do anything. Luckily, this time a reboot fixed everything- for now.

Since this is our main Tivo with the most recordings, I am actually glad to find this thread. Maybe, instead of a major problem, it is something that can be fixed by a software upgrade.

BTW, I am on a wired ethernet connection and my cableco does not use TAs. This unit has an upgraded internal drive and a 1TB My DVR Expander connected via eSATA. Maybe this will help someone else.

13. Oct 1, 2010 #13 of 737
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    This just happened to me for the second time in two weeks with the SDUI. It's recording something now so I just need to sit and watch until the end of the program and I can reboot it. Irritating...

14. Oct 2, 2010 #14 of 737
    desiboy

desiboy New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Consider removing remote batteries first to flush our remote memory. I had to do it once when the amber light in the (glo) remote would not go out.

15. Oct 2, 2010 #15 of 737
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Thought I'd give the HDUI another chance. Just had another lockup calling the TiVo menu. Menu displayed, discovery bar displayed, window showed live video, but TiVo would not execute commands despite the amber remote light showing the TiVo was seeing the remote commands. Tried ThUP, ThDn, Play, Play x 2 a few times, then let it sit for 20 minutes, nothing. Had to reboot. Thanks, TiVo.

16. Oct 3, 2010 #16 of 737
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Third instance of Premiere ignoring the remote in the SD interface happened today. The program I was watching was still playing, so I kept watching. Ten minutes later, the menu suddenly appeared.

17. Oct 3, 2010 #17 of 737
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    My POS Premiere in SDUI mode froze to remote control commands again twice today. Ironically one time was when I was actually going to navigate over to enable HDUI mode so I could get to streambaby which I learned is not possible in SDUI mode. Meanwhile S3 OLED keeps chugging along reliably. I actually swapped locations for S3 and Premiere - the S3 going to Living Room prime viewing location and Premiere relegated to Bedroom for less important recordings.

18. Oct 13, 2010 #18 of 737
    maggiethrock

maggiethrock New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Try turning off the LEDs. I've had this problem for a while. During one of the freezes, I was able to access all the menus and change channels with an app on my iTouch going through my network router into the ethernet port. It seems like its an IR interface overload so not sure why turning the LEDs off worked. However, I have the same set-up in living room (LR) as bedroom (BR) (SDUI, Premiere, Cox M-card, Cisco TA). BR set-up never freezes. 3 differences between LR and BR set-up. 1) LEDs off in BR; 2) output is 480i in BR and 1080i in LR; 3) LR is used a lot more than BR. So, I changed the LR set-up to no LEDs. The orange LED still lights up when I enter a remote command but this seems to cure the freeze. I'm interested does this work for anyone else or am I just lucky it hasn't frozen yet.

19. Oct 13, 2010 #19 of 737
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Since I last posted I moved my Tuning Adapter USB connector to the other USB port on the Premiere and haven't had a freeze since. Of course it could be mere coincidence...

20. Oct 13, 2010 #20 of 737
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    My XL did this since day 1. The other Premier did it less often, but we used it less often too. I returned the XL tonight. The other Premier is going back next week. They are just too much money to be that buggy. Not sure what I am going to do in the long run. Trying TWC Navigator now, and either it will teach me patience or lead to an early death. DirecTV is really the only other option for me.

Ted