1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop the ads!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ffsteve61, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ffsteve61

ffsteve61 New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Why am I spending 20 dollars a month for my TiVo subscriptions and have to see spam ads on my tv! I have a DVR so I can skip ads, now I am forced to see them on the menu screen. :thumbsdown: TiVo :thumbsdown:

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you're still paying $20/mo you need to call. They lowered that to $15/mo a while ago.

As for the ads... there are several other threads on this subject.

3. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I think there should be a lot more threads on this subject.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'd pay extra per month for no ads.

5. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    +1

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Tivo is losing money, so they have to find anyway possible to make a little money so they don't go out of business.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tivo-loses-money-predicted-525699
    If they go out of business then all your hardware would be useless.

7. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    If it keeps them in business, and it really isn't intruding on my actual viewing experience, than I don't give a "rat's *)(@." The ads put on by the content providers during the actual shows are far worse.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    What ads? Oh, those un-intrusive extra selections in the menus?

I don't pay attention to those. I watch TV. :cool:

9. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I really wonder how much extra cash is brought it by the abundant coupons for $1 off Bounty paper towel rolls...

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only ones that annoy me are the one that pops up when you pause and the one that gets added to the keep/delete screen at the end of a recording. The pause one annoys me because usually I'm pausing to see something and it's in the way. The one on the keep/delete annoys me because it takes a second to load and delays how quickly I can select delete. The rest are unobtrusive and don't both me much.

11. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The ads don't bother me at all.. but I understand the sentiment.

12. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Same here. Something needs to be done about those intrusive ones.

13. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I agree, but I think it is a great idea to get rid of them for people that want to pay a little more in monthly fees. I always in favor of other people paying more. That is why I love it that people pay a extra yearly fee for vanity license plates.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I like the idea, too. Then all the whiners can pay more, and this forum can return to being as before the recent influx of ad complaints.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A lot of times I hit pause or rewind to read something on the crawl at the bootom of the screen, where it's been put by stations for decades, and the progress bar pops up to get in the way.

Why wasn't TiVo smart enough to put that thing at the top of the screen out of the way?

Or at least offer it as an option?

16. Borack

Borack New Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Pallleeeseeee..

They will loose more when my year is up....Didnt see one ad during my 30 day evaluation period....:thumbsdown:

Attached Files:

17. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    When I'm done watching a program, rather than pressing Left-Up-Select to delete it, I press Pause-Left-Clear to bypass the keep/delete dialogue and prevent any ad from appearing. These buttons are close together on my universal remote.

To avoid a Pause Ad, I press Down to hide it, or Clear to hide both the ad and progress bar, or enable SPS-Pause-S to always make it hidden.

18. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Nah. Steam or some company would probably pick up the service. They'd allow for lineup update downloads to the units, but probably not make new hardware.

That's probably what we're paying for anyways is development costs for future units.

19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    It would land it on top of the score bar for hockey games :mad:

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that track goals or teeth lost per side?