1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still need a tuning adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sdsvtdriver, Aug 20, 2013.

1. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I haven't found anything in the specs... will this box still need a tuning adapter or did they finally build in SDV support?

If the former, they lost me.

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    You didn't look very hard, yes it is required and no it is not TiVo's fault and this is unlikely to change ever.

The only purpose for SDV is to complicate and irritate TiVo/PC users. The solution is to abandon it.

3. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    SDV is a technology enforced by the cable provider and is done differently in different regions. Just like they can't build in CableCards because they're provider specific they can't build in the SDV device.

If you want to get upset at someone it's the FCC & cable companies who force the need for SDV hardware by not providing a more efficient method.

4. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Tired of the missed recordings and gray screens. Bummer.

Thanks.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Exactly which SDV protocol do you suggest they implement? There is no standard. And why should those of us who don't need it be forced to pay for it?

6. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    my TAs have been extremely stable, have not had to reboot them in many months

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The actual question should be - Does your TA support 6 tuners?

8. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
  9. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Do the Cox Phoenix/Vegas TAs support 6 tuners? I think so but can't confirm it.

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    IIRC, the FCC only mandated that a TA support 4 or the number supported by cable co supplied equipment, whichever is greater.

I did find a quote but have been unable to find the actual FCC document that it is presumably from:

This might have been modified at some point in the two years since it went into affect.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think all CableCARDs and TAs are now required to support up to 6 tuners. But we'll find out real soon if some aren't.

13. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    I still am hoping for some sort of a check and balance from the tivo,
    This is going to sound silly, but something as simple as checking to see if there's signal once a show was switched too. For example, I want to record something on the syfy channel, if it tunes into the syfy channel but there is no signal, try tuning in again.

9 times of of ten, the switched video just needs a second attempt at tuning it in.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Though less likely, tuning failures can happen even when SDV is not being used, so tuning retries would be of benefit to everyone. It would also be nice if it verified the channel ID if it is available.

The FCC documents provide some interesting reading. TWC claimed that:

a. There were 0 problems with TAs

and

b. Even if there were, they were under absolutely no obligation to provide third party devices access to SDV channels.

15. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    How do i report TWC for fraudulent reporting? I know most of the local TW cable guys due to the stupid TAs

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Oh, I think the FCC knows they were lying, they just don't care all that much. This was mostly during the hearings where they were deciding whether or not to mandate back-channel IP for SDV control (which is what TiVo wanted). They concluded that it would be too expensive for MSOs that had already deployed substantial numbers of TAs.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    This has been known to TiVo for at least 3 years, i.e., back when the TiVo Series Three HD model was still being sold new. (I can prove this if necessary.) They have been completely mum on the subject. If there is some technical reason that software-based tuning retries were not feasible, they could have at least told us that.
    Basically there just aren't enough people using CableCARD and Tuning Adapters to provide the political justification to overcome the MSO's justifiable economic arguments. If the FCC actually did force deployment of a better back channel system, guess who would pay for the considerable costs?

The real 800 lb gorilla in the room is how are we going to pay for the infrastructure to give us what we really want and need: fiber into the home and an IP back channel, or even better, IPTV instead of Cable TV.

Especially problematic is how to deliver that to rural areas. In the late 1940's most farms didn't have electricity even though build out in cities started 50 years earlier.

18. kemajor

kemajor Member TCF Club

Jan 1, 2003
    Wichita, KS
    I'm running through the guided setup on my new Roamio Pro and it popped up and said my tuning adapter does not support 6 tuners. My provider is Cox and the tuning adapter is a Motorola, I'll check out the model number later and post back.

I never watch or record any channels that use the tuning adapter anyway but I'm hoping when all of the updates and done it will work or Cox can update and/or provide a tuning adapter that works with 6 tuners.

I'll report my results back when it's all said and done. All of the updates and such seem to be taking forever but my patience/excitement ratio is getting the better of me at the moment.

- Kelly

19. bradenmcg

bradenmcg Big Geek

Dec 28, 2007
    Mayfield...
    Report Cox to the FCC. It's a mandate that all TRs support AT LEAST 6 tuners now (it's in the TR specification document).

Anyone having problems with channels not tuning needs to call their provider and get lines checked, not necessarily in your house either (can also be a problem on the main feeds). The Tuning Adapter has a line on the RF Status screen that shows how many "Retrans" it has run into - retran means it failed to send the tuning request and had to send it a second time, which isn't supposed to happen.

I've been fighting with TWC on this for over two weeks trying to get my retrans fixed... Frustrating doesn't even begin to explain it.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do you have a cite for that? All I can find that is official is FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4).

I also found FCC 76.1205
    Revised as of August 21, 2013
    on a non gov site, but that paragraph was not altered.