1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steranko reviews SHIELD!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Man, is THIS gonna be made of awesome! Jim Steranko, the man who invented Nick Fury & SHIELD as we know them*, will be reviewing each week's episode for The Hollywood Reporter!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/agents-shield-meet-jim-steranko-635504

He's led a pretty incredible life. And he'll be the first to tell you that!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Steranko

* Yes, I know, Stan Lee & Jack Kirby created both the character and the organization. But Steranko took over the book fairly early, and turned it into something cool.

2. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm surprised that the Hollywood Reporter even knows who Steranko is.

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I used to love Steranko's work. I've still got a book he wrote about the history of comics.

I wonder if anyone realizes they changed the definition of the acronym SHIELD from the original? It currently stands for

Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

The original acronym was:

Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division.

I stopped reading comics quite some time ago and didn't realize that they changed it again back in 1991 to

Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate.

I can only assume that they've finally locked it in now that it's on TV and in the movies. :D

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I subscribed to Jim's "Comixscene" back in the day until he changed it to "Mediascene," but I didn't keep up with it when it became "Prevue." And I and had both of his "History of Comics" books. Don't have them anymore, unfortunately. :(

His best work was "Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD," but I vividly remember his work on two issues of "Uncanny X-Men," as well.

And they really can't call Jim the "creator" of SHIELD. That honor belongs to Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.

5. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Yes, quite a few of us do. They even made a bit of humor out of that in the various movies building up to Avengers where people were trying to figure out what it stood for.

6. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I think the article did give that credit to Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. The opening credits to the show gives them both credit as well.

7. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Anybody read the first recap? Jim doesn't pull any punches!

8. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Some of it just seemed like "old man complaints" to me, specifically not being able to follow the opening action sequence because everyone had black suits, and not being able to understand the lab team.

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, the latter was a fair complaint IMO. I'm getting old, but I'm not there yet, and I had trouble deciphering the rapid back-and-forth between the two characters, especially given their accents.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I rewound and put closed captions on for the segments I couldn't understand.

11. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm 62 with bad hearing and I understood every word with no problem. There's this thing called a volume control that helps immensely. :D (It also helps to have a high end 7.1 surround system that focuses the dialog and makes it easier to decipher. ;) )

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI