1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stephen Colbert to take over The Late Show

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Apr 10, 2014.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=38627

2. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    That's 3 threads discussing this now :)

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Dang. I wanted to be the first.

4. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Too slow, though in reality this seems like the best thread.

1. Is in the Happy Hour
    2. is the David Letterman Retiring
    3. Is the one correctly titled and, arguably, in the correct forum = this one.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Good move by a crappy network...

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    <insert item here> rankles Limbaugh.

7. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    If Tim "Bastard Machine" Goodman approves then I approve.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/why-stephen-colbert-is-perfect-695081

Yes, fans of Colbert "in character" will miss his show, but the truth is that the format, despite being an excellent vehicle that launched Colbert to stardom, was far too limiting for Colbert's talent. He's absolutely going to blossom with this new freedom. From his time on Strangers With Candy to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, he's shown his comedic talent in various forms with an improved performer's fluidity. That considerable talent will make him instantly watchable doing his own taped (and live) skits on The Late Show, plus it will serve him well behind the desk doing interviews.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Zero! Zero effs given! Bwa ha ha ha!

[​IMG]

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, that was quick. What'd it take, a week to find a replacement?

I'm not a big Colbert fan but I'll watch a few eps to see how it goes.

10. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
  11. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Active Member

Feb 12, 2003
    You realize it's a character he plays on a different show?

12. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I've never actually seen him do anything except mock one side - so I won't be surprised if that side isn't happy to see in a prominent roles that wasn't previously political.

13. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Well in the case of Limbaugh, he probably doesn't care. What he does care about is that Colbert was getting the news cycle and not him. He went on his diatribe simply to get in on the Colbert 15 minutes of discussion.

Whatever is the hot topic he will find some way to get in and be controversial.
    What blueberries are blue! Its a secret scientific plot by democrats and Obama planned it in his youth. Obviously its stupid but its get people repeating it and that's all that matters.

14. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    That's why I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with The Late Show. The guy is extremely talented, but he's been pigeonholed into his Colbert Report character for so long that most people assume it's fundamentally who he is as a person.

15. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    The Late Show will be just as "not political" as it was before, there is no change in that regard.

16. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Colbert is an excellent choice and I cannot wait to see what he does with the show. He is a very versatile performer, and has a rapier wit. Kudos to CBS for putting an end to months and months of endless speculation!

17. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    That's like saying that you wished Martin Sheen didn't play Uncle Ben In The Amazing Spider-Man, because it was previously not political.

-smak-

18. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Sheen was politically active outside his role so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison - this is more like promoting someone known for anti-black or anti-woman humor and being surprised if blacks or feminists are unhappy about it.

19. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    There's a guy at work who doesn't seem to grasp that "Colbert" is satirizing the Bill O'Reilly type of blowhard.