1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steady Amber Light On Regular Remote SOLVED

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mainewatch, Sep 9, 2012.

1. mainewatch

mainewatch New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I dropped my remote and then when I used it the amber light on top of the TiVo button remained on for about a minute and the TiVo box yellow circle flashed, but the box did not respond to any command, even to turn off the TV or change the volume.

I checked the manual and there was nothing regarding the light staying on for a minute with no response. Instead it said if the TiVo did not respond to the remote I should power cycle the box. But the signal was fine and the yellow circle (beside the green circle) on the box did blink every time I pressed a button on the remote. I changed the batteries, thinking it was a low battery thing. Same behavior.

Again, NO MENTION of this behavior in the user manual.

In the online forums the responses to the a steady amber light on the remote suggested a broken remote (seems to happen a lot with the Slide?) that had to be replaced. One post suggested a broken solder, so I went to look at the remote to find out how I could open it and try to find the broken solder and possibly repair it.

In the course of examining the remote I noticed that that the Clear button was jammed down. I unjammed it and the remote control returned to working normally.

A simple fix, but given how so very important a remote is I would hope that the next version of the user manual might mention checking for a stuck button.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Isn't the best solution to not drop the remote?

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I would label this "Remote 101".

1- check batteries.
    2- check buttons.
    3- think about opening/reprogramming/new remote.

4. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Didn't you forgot the the step between 2 and 3 to throw remote against wall? ;)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually another trick that people might not know... If you install the batteries backwards it resets the remote completely and can clear up all sorts of weird remote errors. Although I don't know if that applies to the Slide, so no guarantees if you're going to try this with a Slide.

Dan