1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

status of switched video dongle

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Slider10, May 19, 2008.

1. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    hey everyone. I am excited with my new HD setup and my TiVo HD. I know my cable company is pulling some channels in a month to switched video. As we all know the current TiVo lineup doesn't support this and a dongle is in the works. My question is has anyone heard of any progress or updates to this? I think we can all agree that switched video is good and enables more hd channels but makes life with TiVo less than ideal.

If anyone knows anything or if Pony wants to chime in, that would be great. Thanks!

2. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    What in the world is a dongle?

3. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you! Glad to know it's coming soon.

4. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    What in the world is a dongle?

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    early term for this when people first heard of USB attached they saw some small device hanging from a USB port on the back of the TiVo. Like the USB network adapter.

Turns out it is going to be a small box instead so "dongle" no longer really applies but the term was around long enough for itto keep popping up.

6. pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I didn't know that it was a small box. I'm a bit disappointed I was looking forward to playing with my dongle. Then showing my wife how to play with my dongle.:D

Of course playing with a small box can be fun as well.;)

OK, I'll stop now.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that is why I rushed out and bought a Wii the first day I could

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You're quite a bit too late:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dongle

says 1981.

9. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    Just got this in my inbox

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
    early term for this when people first heard of USB attached they saw some small device hanging from a USB port on the back of the TiVo. Like the USB network adapter.

Zeo didn't say the word "dongle" was recently invented.

He said the word was recently applied to the Switched Video attachment intended to make an HD TiVo compatible, and that later the device turned out to NOT be a "dongle" but rather a box.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    exactly what Gastrof said. If someone is going to be using dictionary references you would think they would also use some reading comprehension along with it. ;)

12. beboyle

beboyle New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Arizona
    I think the point is that we called them dongles way before there was such a thing as a USB port. Or a PC, for that matter.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Right back at ya

USB - 1995
    dongle - 1981

14. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    What's your point? What does this have to do with the fact that this device, when first conceived last year, was referred to as a USB dongle?

15. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
  16. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
  17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you'd bother to follow the thread, you'd know that ZeoTiVo was called out by mattack on his explanation of where the term dongle came from. Then gastrof pointed out that ZeoTiVo never gave a date and ZeoTiVo was preaching comprehension, but the whole time mattack was the only one with a clue. It seems ZeoTiVo claimed that the term dongle came with the use of USB ports (USB was introduced in 1995) but mattacks pointed out that "dongle" came way before then - 1981. So you see dear friend, mattack was nothing but right, while ZepTiVo had limited comprehension of his own post.

That was my point. Thanks for asking.

What does it have to do with the SDV dongle? Nothing. It was part of the explanation of what a dongle is tangent that was sparked by SpiritualPoet.

It's all about comprehension or the lack there of.
    Thanks again for asking.

18. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Really? Kindly point to where Zeo said that, because I'm not seeing it.

Your BS insults are getting f---ing old, particularly when you're so abysmally wrong in this case.

Stow the attitude and grow up.

19. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Yup, pretty much a cable box with a USB cable instead of S-Video... :rolleyes: