1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Static in menus on Roamio Pro?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by innocentfreak, Aug 31, 2013.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I only found one other thread that mentioned it, but it was in relation to Xfinity on demand. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507890

Is anyone else getting occasional continuous static in the menus? The only way to stop it once it starts appears to be to switch to live TV or turn on the video window. It never seems to happen if the video window is on though so if you leave the preview window up you wouldn't see it except unless you were in settings. I have had it happen while creating wishlists, creating season passes, and when I selected another TiVo to browse.

I am directly connected to my TV via HDMI with no receiver and previously had a Roku hooked up without issue. I have tried both PCM and Dolby with the same results. It seems to happen instead of a sound effect and then doesn't quit until a video starts playing. I haven't read any reports of it so I am wondering if maybe there is a problem with my Roamio.

2. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That happened to me randomly last night. That was the first time it's happened, and I wasn't able to figure out how to reproduce it. My Roamio Pro is connected through an Onkyo receiver via HDMI.

3. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    We had this happen while my wife was playing Wordsmith.

4. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It seems like it might be related to the speed you move through the menus. I don't think I have seen it when going slow. It seems to happen most when I am going quick and not waiting for the TiVo for example when spelling out a word in find TV shows.

5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I've had this happen 2 or 3 times. I was in Search each time.

6. Crrink

Crrink Active Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Set up my Roamio Pro last night, today I was quickly going through the menu to name it, and had this happen. Haven't come across any solutions yet - if I do I'll post.

7. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
  8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The trick I found is just to go slightly slower. Also if you notice a missed sound effect slow down since if you continue it might cause the static.

I have always been extremely quick going through menus but on the Premiere and older TiVos this was only as quick as the UI can render. Now that the HDUI is so much faster you can actually go as quick in real time.

9. Jan 3, 2014 #9 of 10
    harristl

harristl New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    It has happened to me several times. When the television sound returns, the Tivo's menu sounds are usually unavailable until I power cycle the television / speaker bar. I assume that's an HDMI synch issue of some sort. I've also seen the TiVo reboot when it happens. Glad to hear a fix is coming.

I've owned almost every iteration of TiVo box and I'm pretty happy with this one (other than the poor Amazon Video app). It's certainly much better than the Premier was! :)

10. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    This thread is about a loud static noise, not loss of TiVo beeps and boots, which you seem to be describing. The static noise fix is already in the current software.