1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Definition TV on a Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by bobdec01, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bobdec01

bobdec01 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Noobe here.. Ready to take the plunge and replace my Ethernet networked Tivo HD and two Series 2's with a Roamio and Mini's. Big Question, I have a Standard Definition TV on the one of the Series 2's. Has anyone attempted this.. I know the series 1 won't even try to transfer an HD recording from the HD tivo. But with the Mini if it streams an HD from the Roamio what will the SD TV do with it ?? Messed up aspect ratio, or just garbage ??

2. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    It will work fine. Use the TiVo break-out cable to gets the composite (yellow) output and L-R audio. The mini will down convert to the selected resolution.

3. bobdec01

bobdec01 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
  4. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Does the mini come with break out cables? If not, where is the best place to buy?

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The breakout cable is NOT included with the Mini. You can get them on Amazon or TiVo.com.

6. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It's not worth it... An HDTV costs less than the Mini itself.

7. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 New Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Has anyone set-up a mini on an old TV that only has coax in?

I'm assuming I could get a breakout cable, and a RF modulator to connect. Is there any known reason this wouldn't work?

I have a mini that is not in use at the moment, and an old 90's tv that only has a coax input (in the basement, only really used for tornado watch/warning & while folding laundry).

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A VCR you don't use anymore that's new enough to have line inputs can take the red, white, and yellow, and send it out as analog channel 3 or 4.

That's how I'm connecting the HD sitting on the upright freezer to the analog SD television sitting on the refrigerator next to it in the kitchen.

And if I ever want to watch one of those old VCR tapes, like the final season of 24, I can do that while I'm washing dishes and peeling vegetables as well.

Also there were RF modulators made for gamers that will do the same thing.

Check your local Craigslist for either.