1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring update FAIL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gmilwaukee, May 10, 2012.

1. gmilwaukee

gmilwaukee New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Downloaded the "Spring Update" for Premiere this morning and rebooted the box. I received the message saying I now had the update. When I try to open Netflix, the old menu flashes then gives an error message. When I open YouTube I get the same old sd menu that doesn't have my favs or channel when I log in. A second restart did not help. Suggestions?

2. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Go to settings, channels, my video providers. Going into this screen then back out to Netflix fixed this exact issue for me

3. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Also, you may need to wait up to 4 hours for it to finish authorizing. If it still isnt working by then, restart your tivo.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Pretty quick on the fail button. Yikes.

It has already been tweeted multiple times that it can take up to four (4) hours for this to become available.

5. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    This worked for me also.

After the restart Netflix didn't work, but youtube loaded the old version.

I went to My Video Providers and turned off Netflix and Youtube, hit the left button once to just go to the channel settings page, then went back in a turned them on.

I wonder why TiVo couldn't have just programmed the software update to do that.

6. gmilwaukee

gmilwaukee New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Thanks...I read the entire message that accompanied the update and didn't see anything about the 4 hour delay. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the update.

7. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah its kinda ridiculous, seems like something TiVo could easily have the box do at the end of the update.

Also they make you enter in the whole email/password in the new netflix app.

Personally I liked the Activation Code since my password isnt fun to type in even with a keyboard :)

Also I am not having terrible slow loading times with the new apps AT ALL. Netflix is very speedy for me.

8. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah I was a bit disappointed with this since I use my roommate's Netflix account on my TiVo. Does it permanently save the login once you put it in initially or will it periodically ask? That would suck.

9. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yea but most people will be getting this update around 2am, so by the morning it should work. I dont think its a huge deal

Netflix made the app themselves. I prefer either since I have a keyboarded remote. If I didnt, I would rather have the activation code.

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It saves it after activation.

11. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    It saves your login info until you choose logout.

Youtube uses activation codes though.

12. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    What do you mean by that? Youtube isn't a pay service, so I don't see why activation would matter there.

13. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Youtube uses activation codes to connect your youtube account to your TiVo allowing you to:

Add videos on your computer to playlists
    See what your friends are up to
    manage channel subscriptions on your computer

you can use all the youtube features without logging in, it just won't be as personalized.

14. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I had the problem with Netflix not working in the HD menus, they did work in the SD menus.
    The first time i tried the solution above it did nothing, the second time was the charm, working good in both SD and HDUI.

15. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I installed the update and tried to view a Netflix movie by selecting one from the Tivo program movie lists. Got a network failure message and after several attempts with all giving the same results got back on here and found out about the need to re-select Netflix in providers list and enter the name password all over again. Else, I'd still be trying to figure this out. Bet this will be having users burning up the phone lines when it hits the general upgrade release.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm guessing 99% of users install it without any interaction at 2am so it probably will work by the time they get to using it.

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I installed a brand new box today. The initial connection took forever to download and I thought I had a bad box. The first connection is usually the "fast" one. I had added the TSN to the priority list a few days ago before I received the box via UPS. It installed the software before it let me complete guided setup. I had no issues with using the new apps. They worked and were ready to go.