1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPORTS BAR? How?..

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Sywlgee, May 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

1. Sywlgee

Sywlgee New Member

May 8, 2017
    Hey guys? Has anyone here heard of sports bar on TiVo? How do I enable it?

jfalkingham likes this.
  2. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Is that an MSO service? My X1 has that and love it but nada on my TiVo's.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Saw this on Facebook today:

[​IMG]

Looks like something they "invented" but never implemented? Lots of angry commenters on the FB post.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo Shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Here...

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM
  5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Weird. Why would they even post that?

6. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    "We pioneered back in..." but decided to do nothing with it until we had a chance to catch on to the whole #tbt trend and post a meaningless picture.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm guessing it boils down to the naive marketing staff looking though old press releases for this week, finding one for that, thinking "that's cool, let's make it #tbt." Nevermind the fact it was never widely released in the wild, if even at all, or that it's not really even possible with the modern video encoding schemes and Tivo hardware.

What month was the first press release for the Tivo Mega? I guess I'll just keep and eye on Tivo #tbt to find out. ;)

jfalkingham likes this.
  8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Is there a reason why this couldn't be done for a TiVo Roamio or Bolt? Meaning if you have 4 or 6 tuners, why couldn't a split screen interface be designed to allow you to watch all tuners at 1 time? This would be awesome for sports or even news viewing.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sounds like a perfect addition to the new Hydra UI! The hydra had multiple heads, the Hydra UI can show multiple recordings/streams.

10. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'd like them to offer in a layer of sports scores if not being able to show the video streams. It's pretty cool to be watching one game and having all scores updated in a box on screen. That said the Drectv mix channels are cool too

11. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dan can probably give you a more authoritative answer, but my understanding of this is that the limitation falls in decoding the recorded streams. With modern digital cable, the Tivo is merely saving the encrypted program stream directly to the hard drive for the various tuners. I believe the capability exists for decoding only one program stream at a time. Each tuner can record an encrypted stream to the hard drive, but the hardware can only decode one stream to display on screen.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe the Brodcom chipsets they use actually have the ability to decode two streams at a time for PIP, but I don't think they can do four or six. Not sure why TiVo never offered PIP as an option.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.