1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spontaneous Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DrGirlfriend, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Just set-up a new (to me) Premiere box with wireless connection and Comcast. Was in the middle of watching a show (live TV) on the second day of having it and the stupid thing restarted itself. Lost 5 minutes of the show I was watching. It went back to normal for a couple minutes. Then it went to the M Card info screen! I hit Clear and it went back to programming. What is the problem?

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to happen. I've had my XL4 for about three months, and it's happened once to me...

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    My experience has been similar to Bierboy's. I replaced my old S2 Tivos a year ago with Premieres. Both of my Premieres have done this. That was some time ago and it hasn't happened since.

It could be that I think too much, but I get this vibe that they have this 'settling in' period. At first I had a few weird, glitchy, things happen with my new Tivos and then they seemed to be fine. I think it takes a short while for them to recognize the best times for updating, based on your habits. After a short while my living room Tivo learned to schedule stuff like that during the night and my bdrm Tivo does it during the day. So, if it has to restart, it doesn't interfere in live-watching or recording.

When they are brand new, to your house, they always have a barrage of updating to do, between software and guide info updates.

4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Brand new out of the box they generally require at least one update. Thus the recommendation that you power up and connect to the internet a say or so prior to cable setup. This to allow needed updates to download.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Going to the CableCARD is a possible indicator that it is not properly paired.

6. DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks everyone! Since I posted it has gone to the CableCard screen twice. I'll keep an eye on it but I hope it isn't the card. I won't bore you with the craptacular story of getting the thing from Comcast.

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
  8. Wendy in NY

Wendy in NY New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    New York
    Call your cable company and have them pair the cable card again. It happened to me today and eventually, after constantly "clearing" that grey screen, I then couldn't get any channels because they weren't "authorized". In any case, I'm now waiting for my 5th, that's right, 5th replacement box.

There's a whole thread on these damned spontaneous reboots:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=485145&page=5

9. DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks NorthAlabama! Hopefully it won't come to that but I'm glad to see a sane & uncomplicated fix for it.

Wendy - I read some of your thread. Horrific. So sorry this is happening to you. I hope it stops soon!

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ok, it's your fault. ;)

After saying all that, I was in my bdrm this morning watching something from the living room. Just as I hit FF to blow through a commercial segment it got 'stuck'. I thought oh crap, but waited to see if anything happened before unplugging it. A moment later it spontaneously restarted itself. argh. But it didn't get stuck on any weird screens or anything. I guess that sort of thing just happens sometimes.

One odd thing, that I don't know if it was elemental or not, I had just (within the hour) restarted that Tivo because every now and then I have to do that to delete a certain show from the deleted folder.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I was told by a service tech @ Tivo the cable cards becoming defective which will cause the constant reboots. Even during the viewing of a program.
    This had been almost a daily issue until I had a new card replaced an the problem resolved itself..

12. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I specifically remember this happening twice to me when I set up my Premiere Elite. I attributed it to a firmware update on the DVR or the cablecard.

I remember it because I was so terrified that I spent the coin on a nice new fancy DVR and it was already broken :eek:.

13. DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thank for the vote of confidence, sharkster!
    Yes, it did cross my mind that I had bought a defective box and I could feel the righteous indignation rising. But, it stopped restarting and/or going to the cable card screen, so I feel better. Just gonna chalk it up to being new. Thanks everyone!