1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoilers don't spoil anything.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hoffer, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/08/spoilers-dont-spoil-anything.ars

I just read the above article and had to come post about it here.

Some psychologist did a study and found that people actually enjoyed a book more if they new how it ended before they started reading it. That people experience stress while reading a book wondering how it ends.

2. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    A lot of movies spoil themselves. You know the technique where they show you the end and you have to figure out how they go there. Momento was the ultimate.

3. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    My Mom always reads the final chapter of the book she's reading first, I don't get it myself.

4. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    You would have to define "enjoyed" more specifically. I might get less stressed, worried, or upset during a TV show or movie if I know the ending, but in my mind that makes me an even more passive participant in the experience than I already am and makes the overall experience less enjoyable. I really hate those "three days earlier" episodes partially for that very reason.

5. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You just have to enjoy the ride and not worry about where your going!
    Mad Men for example never really had cliff hangers it was more about the ride.

6. bleen

bleen Protein from the Sea

Aug 9, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    So how does this thread end [​IMG]?

7. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

We find out that we are all batteries

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I got "spoiled" a few times by watching some of the bonus materials on the BluRay discs I was getting from NetFlix.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Used in conjunction with fusion reactors :rolleyes:

I may enjoy rereading a book when I know how it ends, but I don't want to give up the "stress" of wondering how things will turn out or what surprised might appear to throw things off course.

In my personal experience if I know of a spoiler for a book or movie I spend more time looking for when it's going to pop up or trying to figure out how they're going to get there and can't just enjoy the story.
    That different from rereading or rewatching because in those cases I know exactly how its going to go so I can focus of enjoying the dialog, setting, characters, writing, etc (or appreciate foreshadowning or red herrings I didn't pick up on the first time)

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    My wife reads novels to her mother for an hour every night (MIL has lost most of her sight). Every time they start a new book, MIL asks wife if she'll read the last couple of pages first. Wife never does, but MIL always asks. :)

Whenever the in-laws were over to watch a movie, MIL always asked for spoilers ("Is he going to die?" "are they going to make it?").

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    And a roller coaster would be less stressful if it didn't have all those hills and loops and going fast and stuff. It also wouldn't be fun.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am reading the fifth book of the Ice and Fire series. There are wikis dedicated to this series. I have been looking up characters that I am afraid are going to get killed. :)

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    ...and flux capacitors...

14. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    The shocking return of !!!Aardvark!!!

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think that people are a bit too caught up on spoilers.. I've watched TV poker tournaments knowing who would win. (I don't remember at the moment, but at one point I already knew who was in the November Nine even though I am going to keep watching the WSOP episodes on Tuesdays.) Sure, I try not to be spoiled and try not to spoil others, but it doesn't completely ruin the thing.

This reminds me of my puzzlement about people who immediately delete recordings of a show that was cancelled. If they liked the show while it was in production, why not watch the rest? I do, EVEN if it ends up in a cliffhanger that's never resolved.

By the way:
    He's his father.
    He was dead the whole time.
    They're both the same guy.
    It's a sled.
    They're in a forest in the modern time.

16. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    What is worse than spoilers? Vague spoilers. Here are my guesses:

Star Wars
    Sixth Sense
    ?
    Citizen Kane
    ?

17. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    My ex wife was like that. She wanted to know as much as she could about a movie or TV show ahead of time. Drove me crazy. But far down the list of reasons shes my ex. :)

18. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Why look it up?

valar morghulis

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The third is The Usual Suspects, I'm pretty sure, and the fifth is The Village.

20. cstelter

cstelter Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I tought the 3rd might be Fight Club...