1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoiler poll - Journey or Destination?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Sep 4, 2012.

Journey or Destination?

1. Journey

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Destination

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Sep 4, 2012 #1 of 17
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I am definitely a journey guy, I try to avoid spoilers but if I see them I don't let it ruin it for me. Also I don't get all bent out of shape when visiting a TV board and someone lets something slip. It would be like complaining when putting your hand over a candle and trying to move it before you got burned.

2. Sep 4, 2012 #2 of 17
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    are these two new TV shows??

3. Sep 4, 2012 #3 of 17
    Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I don't really understand the distinction between the options or how one correlates to enjoy spoilers, don't mind spoilers or hate spoilers.

Also, the rules of the forum are pretty clear for how spoilers should be handled and I appreciate having a "safe" place to discuss TV shows and I do not appreciate people who flout the spoiler rules or harass those who like the rules. There are a zillion places to go on the net to discuss TV shows with spoilers, read about spoilers and have spoilers to your heart's content. I don't think it is too much to ask to respect the rules here.

4. Sep 4, 2012 #4 of 17
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you're in for the journey, you don't want to be spoiled.

If you only care about the destination, spoilers shouldn't bother you.

???

I don't go out of my way to avoid spoilers, but I don't get upset if I see one. However, I would appreciate use of the spoiler tags with a 'better safe than sorry' attitude.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #5 of 17
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Has nothing to do with the forum rules it is just a general question.

Journey - It's the ride getting there not the place itself (the story)
    Destination - Nothing matters but the place you are going (the gotcha moment)

6. Sep 4, 2012 #6 of 17
    Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't care about spoilers either. I don't seek them out, but I don't freak out if I see one.

7. Sep 4, 2012 #7 of 17
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I don't understand the poll as it relates to TV shows and spoilers. I don't like spoilers because I prefer to experience the narrative as it was intended to be experienced.

8. Sep 4, 2012 #8 of 17
    Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I think spoilers can ruin the journey. I prefer not to know how the story will unfold beginning, middle or end until I'm experiencing it, whether a TV show, movie or book.

There are shows where I don't care and will read a spoiler if I come across it, but my favorites where I actual care, I don't want to know anything.

I didn't see a single preview of The Dark Knight Rises or read a word about it before it came out. After it came out and I looked back at some articles, people basically knew the entire plot before seeing the movie due to spoilers via rumors and leaks. I don't really see the point in that, but to each their own.

9. Sep 4, 2012 #9 of 17
    Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    To me, I'd go the opposite with journey and destination. Reading a spoiler typically means all you care about is the destination (knowing what's going to happen), whereas if you stay spoiler free you can fully enjoy the journey.

eta: Wait, maybe I'm agreeing with you. I'm so confused!

10. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yeah

Really, I want both. When it comes to TV, want a journey with a good payoff.

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    It depends on the spoiler. I've seen spoilers that had me say "meh". I've also seen spoilers that I really didn't want to know yet.

12. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    If Vince Gilligan called me right now and told me how Breaking Bad ended I wouldn't flinch in watching the rest of the series.

Take Harry Potter for example, everyone knew how it was going to end but getting there was the best part.

13. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I voted journey.

Generally speaking, I am not bothered by spoilers. I have seen the occasional that irked me, but the level of anger displayed by some I have known who feel a great injustice when something is spoiled is amusing to me.

14. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
  15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    you mean everyone who read the book before seeing the movies?

I have done neither and I don't know how it ended. But I don't really care, so you can spoiler that for me.

Would I want to know how Breaking Bad ends without seeing it unfold myself? No way!!!

16. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    Spoilers=bad
    Not-spoiling=good

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    This poll makes no sense. I like the journey AND the destination, that's why I don't like spoilers. That way I can enjoy the journey (without knowing what's going to happen next) and the destination (without knowing what the ending will be).