1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoiled by speed

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Dan203, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1 of 28
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Our cable system just finally started simulcasting all the analog channels, so I'm trying to convert my wife over from her 2 tuner Premiere to my old 4 tuner Elite. (she recorded a lot of analog so couldn't use a 4 tuner before) Anyway this means I'm spending a lot of time on the Elite copying all her shows over via MRV. (she has about 1.2TB worth) It is sooooo sloooooow! I've only been using my Roamio for a few weeks but I forgot how slow the Elite was. Hopefully she doesn't notice a big difference or I may end up having to buy another Roamio soon.

2. Oct 4, 2013 #2 of 28
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    All these comments about speed really make me want one...

3. Oct 4, 2013 #3 of 28
    uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    The Premiere must be a real dog, glad I skipped that series!

4. Oct 4, 2013 #4 of 28
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    In HD UI, it's slow as dirt. But there are a few things (ESPECIALLY the space indicator -- yes, I'm one of those who OCD-ly constantly checks how full my Tivo is, since I WANT TO WATCH EVERYTHING I RECORD OR DELETE IT MYSELF, and understandably can't realistically set everything to KUID) that made me stick with the HD UI after getting a Premiere 4..

Another funny thing is that I'm now spoiled by the download speed from the Premiere 4 compared to my Tivo HD.. download to a computer (with kmttg) that is. I record mostly SD shows, so a SD show takes *around* 5 minutes (a bit more, but that's a rough estimate) to download on my Premiere 4. On my Tivo HD, it takes WAY WAY longer -- tens of minutes.

Supposedly downloading from the Roamios is even faster.

5. Oct 4, 2013 #5 of 28
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    A Premiere running the SDUI is fast. Under HDUI, it's painfully slow.

Now that I have a Roamio, I can see why everyone complains about the Premiere. I always ran my Elite under SDUI, but was forced to change to HDUI to use a Mini on it. The Roamio is a pleasure; the Premiere is constantly pausing, waiting, displaying that little circle of patience.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #6 of 28
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I recall getting a lot of flack over they years complaining how ridiculously slow my Elite was running HDUI and Flash apps. So glad I no longer have to use that Elite anymore.

7. Oct 5, 2013 #7 of 28
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think you mainly got flack for claiming that your Elite was slower then your Premiere. To me they are equally as agonizing to use. :)

8. Oct 5, 2013 #8 of 28
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Oh I could tell a difference between the Premiere and Elite easily. I would frequently change some of the Elite's unused tuners over to channels I didn't receive (no recording) and the Elite would tangibly speed up immediately.

Then I thought the Mini was a joy to use until I used the Roamio. Now the Mini seems slow too. :D Definitely spoiled.

9. Oct 5, 2013 #9 of 28
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes I found my 2 tuner Premiere after several updates just about tolerable using HDUI and always significantly faster than my Elite. Even now compared to Mini and Roamio my 2 tuner Premiere is still tolerable and I still use it (though I'd never want to use Netflix on it again). The Elite I gladly cast off to other family members.

10. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I never owned a Premiere. My latest was the THD, so all I was used to was the SDUI. The Roamio UI is at least as fast as my THD, and maybe faster.

Where the Roamio really surprises me is the speed of transfers between it and my computer, up or down. Blazing!

11. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Calling it the "circle of patience" is being too kind ;)

12. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    I went from TiVoHD to a Roamio. I'm very pleased with the performance. I still have one TiVoHD in the basement, and used it the other day. My goodness churning through that UI (even though it is SD) felt like trying to run in waist deep water. What a frustrating experience compared to the Roamio!

13. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    On my Premier I cut the HD Gui off because it slowed down so much. The Roamio is quick.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, I am glad you now see we were not crazy :)

When released, the Premiere was almost unusably slow in the HDUI. I was forced to use the SDUI to keep my sanity. After a few updates, it went from unusably slow to painfully slow in the HDUI, but I switched to it.

The Roamio is acceptable. I would not describe it as "fast", but it is very usable and certainly not slow. It is as fast in the SDUI as the Premiere was in the SDUI. The speed, alone, makes the Roamio a very worthy upgrade.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The Elite is just way slower than the regular Premiere for me. Opening something like Netflix takes almost 4x longer. The UI of the Premiere is slow but usable but the Elite/XL4 is just painful to me. I don't know why but it is very noticeable.

16. HazelW

HazelW Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    I use a mini with an Elite running the SDUI. No problems that I can see. Why were you forced to change to the HDUI?

17. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I am highly amused by reading this post, because my experience is that the TiVoHD is blazingly fast with kmttg -- compared with the way it was before, with TiVo Desktop. ;)

18. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    its not. It was significantly faster than the TivoHD

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In the SDUI maybe. But in the HDUI it gets bogged down and takes a second to respond to commands, which in turn causes you to think the command was missed so you press again and then it does it twice. And then other times it does miss commands and you wait thinking it's slow and it does nothing.

With the Roamio that never happens. You occasionally get a bong if you go too fast, but at least that's a response to the command so you know it was was received.

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Weird, I thought they both did basically the same exact thing, essentially a curl or http download....
    so I don't know how they're any different in actual download speed -- unless I'm wrong, which I probably am.