1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting OTA antenna signal

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Fourgig, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Fourgig

Fourgig New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Stupid question alert...

I have an OTA antenna that's already hooked up to a HR10-250. If I get a second HR10-250, can I just splice something like this into the cable coming off the antenna to feed both HR10's?
  2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004

However, there is no need to waste money on monster cable products. You can buy something like this for 81 cents, which will do the same job as that $10 thing.
  3. jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    A definite maybe. If your original signal is strong enough, this will work. These passive 1 In/2 Out splitters cut your signal strength in half. If you find that the signal is too weak after splitting you will need to add an amplifier.
  4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    If your signal is so weak that it can't handle being split, then it is too weak anyway. In that case you would probably already have an amp.
  5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Well, not precisely. A loss of 3 dB (typical of a 2-way hybrid splitter) is enough to send a marginal yet completely watchable DT signal completely off the cliff. But a signal that close to the edge really should have some amplification for reliability. At any point in time you either have a good picture or you have a bad or no picture. When marginal, that state can change rapidly, and a small loss in level can be catastrophic.

But most signals are not marginal. Note your signal quality reading first. Then add the splitter. In most cases the reading will not go down. If it does, yes, an amp is then a very good idea. If it goes up instead, you probably are using a HR10-250 and are benefitting from the attenuation. :D
  6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i have el cheapo home depot splitter with OTA on stacked HDTivos. I do have a 25db leviton amp inline though(home depot also)..maybe that helps. (it's actually 75 ft away from the tivos)

of course i can't get tv without the amp so it's a no brainer.
  7. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Just try it. Like someone said, a splitter is less than $1 at most electronics stores. I personally have done this, and, believe it or not I think it helps!

I had to use an attenuator for one receiver because the signal was too strong. With the antenna split between 2 receivers, the signal is fine, without the attenuator.