1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spike TV almost got me..or..Is anybody watching World's Worst Tenants?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Jun 15, 2012.

1. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    A friend turned me onto this show and said I just HAD to watch it.

Here is a link: www.spike.com/shows/worlds-worst-tenants

They basically follow around these 3 people who work for a property management company and evict people from residential and commercial properties.

Almost immediately my "spidey senses" were going off as it reminded me of Operation Repo on TrueTV and how that is fake.

The only thing that almost had me convinced was the ever presence of police, so I went internet searching and of course found out it's just as fake as Operation Repo. Nothing but reinactments of actual stories.

I found this post about the latest episode with the guy shooting the automatic weapons and the police:
    So I guess even the "cops" are actors!

SP deleted!

2. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I hate those. There are enough good real reality shows on TV. The Navajo Cops one for example. There is fire fighter show on OWN. I was taken in by the Black Gold one though it seemed to be a real oil rig etc.

3. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks for confirming it is fake, I saw an ad for it, and it felt like it belonged on TruTv.

4. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    While I have not seen the show, this makes it obvious the show is faked. The California Highway Patrol does not get involved in evictions. In California, it is the exclusive domain of the County Marshal (or Sheriff, if there is no separate Marshall's Office) as they are the court's law enforcement arm. Even a municipal police officer does not get involved in evictions, though once evicted if the person returns he/she can be arrested for trespass by any peace officer.

5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I hate that, this should be illegal... They should have to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the show or risk huge fines IMO.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It is just entertainment. I was suckered in by the one about the biker bar. I quit watching once I realized it was fake.

7. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Which biker bar one?

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I agree - they should have to provide full disclosure on fake, or re-created, so-called 'reality' shows. It is truly irksome to find out you were not watching what you thought you were watching.

First, reality shows got huge. Now fake reality shows seem to be the norm.

9. magath12

magath12 New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I just watched the same episode with the automatic rifles. When they show the M4/AR15 on the table its clearly a prop gun or airsoft. the buffer tube has no castle nut and it appears that the buffer tube and receiver are molded together, there is no magazine release and no safety indicator on the right side. Totally 100% fake. not to mention the police aren't even correct. bummer that so much bull is on TV now a days. Even reality tv isn't real.

10. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I assume your talking about that bs show about the Laughing Devils motorcycle club??? I stopped watching it as well when I realized it was all fake too.

11. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    We used to be huge Lizard Lick Towing fans.. Ronnie even married me and my wife and we live about a mile from their shop. When it was on All Worked Up, I do think there was a shred of truth to what took place. Sometimes it seemed "out there" but knowing how people are around here, the repo part is perfectly believable.

However

As the segment was spun off into its own show, it started departing more and more from any sense of reality. We watched Season 1 of their show and we made it through 2 episodes of season 2 and decided there was no way it was real being so far out in left field. We have a town police officer across the street and Lizard Lick Towing is considered to be in our small town and I asked him how often they get called over there for disturbances and he said "Never." That and the terrible "acting" of some of the people they have brought it on the show convinced me its fake.

Heres the odd part tho. Ron's injuries are for the most part real. When he married us, he had a broken arm from a repo gone bad. You should see what was going on in his arm big time.. he said he wasnt going to get a cast on it until after our wedding tho as he didnt want to marry us with a cast on his arm. And I see him in the grocery store pretty regularly and sometimes dude looks like someone has taken a baseball bat to him. For something that's fake, someone forgot to tell someone.

Good for them cashing in on their 15 minutes. I guess at one point they were on or tried out for Wife Swap as well.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think she's talking about Full Throttle Saloon. It's mostly real but they throw in some fake drama, just like with Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock.

13. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yeah, Full Throttle is definetly not one of the main offenders. However, I'm sure much of it is manufactured.

14. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    If OP is interested in watching a tenant/landlord type of reality show 'The Super' on HDNet is much better. You learn 1) The super guy is actually trying to help people 2) Some people can't be helped.

15. verdugan

verdugan Active Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for not making me waste time on this fake crap.

16. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The biker bar was the one with bikini contests. Ma's Roadhouse

17. squigy0

squigy0 Internet DJ & Dummy

Mar 20, 2003
    Owings...
    Can we just spin this thread off to talk about various other reality shows out there and which we know/suspect to be fake & where the slight possibilities are that they're real? :p

Definitely had my doubts about Lizard Lick. Like KungFuCow, I started by saying "well these are certainly things that COULD be encountered in that part of the country and in that type of work" but there was definitely a lot of over-the-top shenanigans that placed some doubt.

Same with Duck Dynasty. On the surface, these guys are just a bunch of rich-beyond-their-comfort-zone rednecks so you'd expect that they'd do some pretty off-the-wall things to step up the redneckery because they can, and those duck calls are clearly selling without them having to be out there doing much work so they've got to fill the time somehow.

Even Bridezillas, I can see the insane eyes and words of girlfriends I've had in the past on display for "thank God that's not me dealing with it this time" enjoyment, but sane thought would convince me that either they're hamming it up cause the camera's there or they'd go the other way and be on their best behavior for the camera so they don't come off nationally as crazies they truly are.

18. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I watched a little bit of Duck Dynasty. It doesn't come across to me as "fake", but rather "manufactured". Which I still don't like. I used to watch Family Jewels until it became obvious most of the situations were setups.

Are there any "reality" shows out there that are real in the sense that the producers or whoever don't prep the principles and don't pre-scout locations and set up cameras?

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks for that. Just out of the sake of curiosity, I'm going to check this out. HDNet is pretty new to me, so I hadn't noticed this one yet. Set up a couple of recordings to see if it is interesting.

20. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I certainly think they should be required to put

"Reenactment of actual events" as the show is starting.