1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP problems for The Hour

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by aforkosh, Dec 2, 2012.

1. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I set up a Season Pass for the BBC America series The Hour (a 6 episode miniseries that started last Wednesday). The Season Pass correctly picked up the second episode on December 5 but not the third episode on December 12. The episode is in the guide already but for some reason it does not show up as an upcoming episode for the series. So I have set up a second season pass. Who knows which pass (if any) will get the remaining episodes.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I looked at zap2it and for some reason, Tribune has assigned two different Series IDs to this series. It looks like your SP is based on one of them and it matched the one that episode 2 had. Episode 3 apparently got the other one.

3. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Thanks for starting this thread. My existing Season Pass missed the December 12th episode also.

4. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Yup, same here. The new SP also picked up the following episode. I canceled the old one so hopefully the new one will work for the rest of the series.

10+ years of TiVo, and I've never seen this particular glitch before. As if the foreign shows with the wrong original dates don't cause enough problems.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I would have kept both if I were you, since both seriesIds still exist.

Blame Tribune for both of these. And the OAD isn't wrong, it is accurate. It just doesn't reflect the date of the first U.S. showing.

6. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    If you deleted the original season pass when The Hour required a new one for episode 3, you have some work to do. Episodes 4 and 5 (to be shown on 12/26) are located via the same SP as episode 3, but episode 6 (the last one) on 1/2 gets picked up by the original SP that worked for episodes 1 and 2.

So, if you currently have a working SP for The Hour, check to see if anything is set to record on 1/2/2013. If not, force it manually.

However, even that may not fix things. Each episode of The Hour has a running time of just short of 1 hour WITHOUT commercial interruptions. In order to accommodate commercials, the BBC America versions have been running for 1 hour 15 minutes. However, the January 2 episode is shown as only running for 1 hour. Either there are no commercials or BBC America will be showing an abridged version. Note that if that is so, the full episode should be available for a pice on various services such as iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon.

7. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I ended up creating a ARWL for HOUR+West, Dominic.

8. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Note that previous episodes have run for 1 hour 15 minutes to accommodate the 58-59 minute running time of the dramatic material and allow for the addition of commercials. However, the January 2 episode is only given a 1-hour time slot. So, I expect that about 10 minutes of the show will hit the cutting room floor. I intend to skip the BBCA telecast and pick up the iTunes version which should be released by the next morning.

Background: When BBCA showed the series Inside Men last summer, they tried to fit a 1-hour BBC show into a 1-hour time slot including 15 or so minutes of commercials. I actually bought the iTunes version and watched that. Unfortunately, it was not captioned and some of accents were hard to understand. Thus, I reviewed the telecast version to try to understand some of the dialog for scenes that I found hard to interpret. In doing so, I observed how scenes that were vital to the piece were cut. Having seen similar hack jobs on other imported series, I have resolved not to watch them if material is lost. I'm willing to compromise and have some continuity disrupted, but losing tightly edited material goes too far.

9. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    It looks like the episode numbers are messed up on some episodes. The Jan 2 one has an eight digit episode number.