1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southland Season 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RonDawg, Feb 25, 2013.

1. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 12, 2006
    I've decided to start a new Season 5 thread since the first one is several months old and was largely side-tracked by a discussion about whether or not Season 2 was "cobbled" together ;)

So far I'm liking the writing of this season, Last seasons' writing was a bit sloppy, with a few clich├ęs thrown in (Lucy Liu's overcompensating female cop character being prominent) and some outright laziness and lack of imagination in the form of some classic COPS moments being re-created nearly frame-by-frame.

I do hope that they finally start to show more of Cooper's relationship side, now that they've shown this much. I was thinking that the glimpses we have been shown up until now were nothing but a hook to keep us interested.

Cooper's new rookie is the type sadly not unheard of today in law enforcement. I do wish they would have kept him on a bit longer and perhaps shown some positive qualities in addition to the negative ones. Even a "know it all" can occasionally have a positive contribution.

I'm glad to see that Lydia's partner from last season is back, as they have a great working relationship.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    What's Lydia gonna do with her mom gone? She was really leaning on her to raise and take care of the baby. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And what will happen now with the partner, who (to my eyes) was already borderline creepy/stalkery? With the emphasis on "borderline"...but I have a hunch he will move closer to or over the border now that Lydia will be more "needy."

4. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 12, 2006
    That's going to be an interesting storyline. My guess:

The conflicts will grow to a point where something will happen to her at work, and/or happen to the baby, and she's going to be faced with a difficult choice about her career.

I think he likes her a lot, but I didn't get the impression that he was like that at all.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seems to me they've been emphasizing his attention to her a lot more than you would expect from a simple co-worker relationship, even a close one. I suspect they're going somewhere with it, and Mom's death will be the trigger.

We'll see soon enough!

6. barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    I thought her partner was married.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He is, as he keeps pointing out. Which only adds to the weirdness.

8. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    Dang it! My season pass did not record the season premiere. I think Verizon and/or TiVo changed the channel name from TNTHD to TNTPHD. I think that was the cause. I had to start a new season pass.

9. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    You've missed 2 episodes if you haven't gotten any recorded yet.

--Carlos V.

10. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I watched the first two tonight. Both were very good episodes. If you saw the preview of the next episode you have an idea of where the story with Lydia and her partner is going.

11. barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    Hmm. I kind of like her partner. I hope they keep that relationship working only.

12. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I didn't get the 'weird' vibe from Lydia's partner, I think he finds her attractive and maybe looking for some future fun (commented that his wife is still trying to lose her baby weight while enjoying Lydia's appearance.)
    I don't like where the abusive claim part of the story is going with the other cop and his ex-wife; baiting the cop and then recording it. IMHO it's always such a cop-out (pardon the pun) and lame storytelling. I can already smell the lawsuit not ending well.